The annual Founders Day celebration was initiated in 1987 as the University's way to express its great appreciation to its 17 original founders and the former directors of Coastal Carolina Junior College.
Since 1988, those whose spirit and determination have shaped the historic, academic and physical development of the University and higher education in the region have been recognized as honorary founders. The Founders Day convocation is usually held during the third week in September to coincide with the anniversary of the opening of Coastal Carolina Junior College and its first day of classes on Sept. 20, 1954.
Selection as an honorary founder recognizes that the person or institution has:
• Been instrumental in the development of Coastal Carolina College or Coastal Carolina University
• Reflected the ideals of the original founders
• Contributed time, talent or resources to the enhancement of the University
• Demonstrated over time an exemplary commitment to the University
• Demonstrated a passion for service to the University
The University Medallion recognizes individuals who have made significant contributions to Coastal Carolina University in one or more of the following areas: service to education or the community, entrepreneurship, philanthropy and scholarship. The first University Medallions were awarded in September 2012.
Beginining in 2013, the Founders Day Convocation included recognition of the Distinguished Alumnus of the Year and the Distinguished Young Alumnus of the Year for their significant contributions to their professions and communities.