Information Technology majors at Coastal Carolina University will learn to plan, acquire, configure, implement, maintain, upgrade and support systems and software to solve real-world problems in business, industry and government. The Information Technology curriculum prepares students to use and apply current technical concepts and best practices to integrate computing systems into the workplace environment. Graduates of the program will be prepared to enter the workforce as system administrators, technology managers, network architects, computer security specialists and technical support professionals. Also, Information Technology graduates will be prepared for graduate study in the field.
The Student Experience
- The degree program has been granted accreditation by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). With ABET accreditation, students, parents, employers, and the society we serve can be confident that a program meets the quality standards that produce graduates prepared to enter a global workforce.
- Since real-world applications are fundamental to Information Technology, courses are designed around hands-on experience with current computing hardware and software.
- Internship opportunities may be available for experience and academic credit (1?3 hours).
- Students have access to computing and laboratory resources at the department and college levels, including workstations, networking equipment, high-performance computing systems and a small-scale data center.
- The computing student organization Numbers & Bytes sponsors field trips, organizes guest presentations and provides frequent social and professional networking opportunities.
Beyond the Classroom
CSCI 335 Software Project Management
CSCI 370 Data Communications Systems and Networks
CSCI 385 Introduction to Information Systems Security
CSCI 415 Systems Administration
CSCI 416 Linux System Administration
CSCI 427 Systems Integration
CSCI 434 Digital Forensics
CSCI 444 Human-Computer Interaction
William Jones Jr., Ph.D.
Coastal Science Center 160N