International Students: What to Bring
The below is a list of items the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) recommends that you bring to Coastal. While most of these items are recommendations based on previous student experience, you must bring your immigration materials and relevant health records with you.
Immigration Materials (Required)
- I-20 (F1 students) or DS-2019 (J1 students)
- Documentation of financial support
- Contact information for International Programs and Services, including emergency contact information
- Correspondence from Coastal Carolina University—acceptance letter, housing assignment, tuition payment receipts, etc.
Health Records and Medications (Required)
- Prescription medications, contact lenses, and glasses
- Medical records as necessary
- List of allergies
- Proof of required immunizations
- Proof of required health insurance
More information on immunization and insurance requirements for international students is available here: http://www.coastal.edu/students/health/international.html
- Laptop if you already have one—laptop recommendations are available here http://www.coastal.edu/scs/index.html?type=studentpurchases
- Small electronic items—camera, digital music player, calculator, etc.
Note: Electrical outlets in the US are typically different than your home country. You should consider bringing an adapter or purchasing your electronics in the U.S.
For Your First Night (Recommended)
- One change of clothing in case your luggage is delayed
- Toiletries—We recommend your carry small containers of toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and a toothbrush for your first few days
- Generally students dress informally (jeans, sneakers, etc.), however, you may have presentations or be invited to dinners or receptions and need more formal clothing.
- The weather is generally mild, but there will be a few days of cold temperatures. You may want to bring sandals, a rain coat, umbrella, light winter coat and may occasionally need hat and gloves, shorts, jeans, short sleeve shirts, comfortable shoes for walking, etc. You may also purchase these items here.
- The average temperature in the spring is 76°F (24°C), summer 89°F (32°C), fall is 77°F (25°C) and winter 59°F (15°C). The region rarely has snow. There are 215 days of sun.
- Be sure to bring some money for the textbooks, supplies, items you will need for your residence hall, food, etc.
- You may want to bring some traditional clothing or small items from your home country to talk about with your American friends.
- Be sure you label all of your luggage both inside and outside. You may include our address, but be sure to include your own name.
Office of International Programs and Services
Coastal Carolina University
103 Tom Trout Drive
Conway, SC 29526
- Emergency Contact Information for the Office of International Programs and Services - this information will be sent directly to you. Make sure you have it with you before you leave for the United States.
Pillows and Linens (Optional)
- Pillow, light blanket, and bed sheets (twin size, extra-long)
- Towel and wash cloth
Your residence hall room is not equipped with these items. A shopping trip will be planned for soon after you arrive. These items can be purchased for a modest cost a local store.