facebook icon twitter youtube

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is defined by the United States government as employment "that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school." Students who have received one year or more of full-time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion academic training. To engage in CPT, a formal request must be submitted to the Designated School Official. A student may begin Curricular Practical Training only after receiving his or her Form I–20 with the DSO's authorization and endorsement.

To apply for curricular practical training, the student must do the following:

  1. If you are in F1 status, you must have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one full academic year and the Curricular Practical Training must be an integral part of your degree program, which will be determined through the recommendation of your advisor.
  2. Ask your academic advisor to complete the Curricular Practical Training Request Form , which can also be obtained from the Office of International Programs & Services .  Since academic credit is to be received for the internship, you must obtain a letter of support from your academic advisor indicating how the practical training is directly related to your academic program.
  3. Obtain an offer of employment letter, on company letterhead, which provides a job description, name of your supervisor, beginning and end dates of your proposed employment, and the number of hours per week that you will work.
  4. Visit the Office of International Programs & Services to submit the Curricular Practical Training Request Form, the offer of employment, and Form I-20 to your DSO.

For more information, contact