facebook icon twitter youtube

Long-Term Programs

Exchange/Long-Term Study Abroad Opportunities

Some of Coastal Carolina University's brightest and most adventurous students pass through the Office of International Programs & Services (OIPS) on their way to exciting and challenging experiences all over the world.  International opportunties continue to increase each year with more students participating in Coastal Carolina University's semester/year exchange programs.

Coastal Carolina University's list of exchange sites grows with each passing year.  The University is actively engaged in developing relationships with colleges and universities throughout the world that will give students uniquely valuable educational experiences abroad.  One of the major attractions of these particular progrms is that they allow Coastal Carolina University students to study in another country while paying Coastal Carolina University tuition.  This is usually substantially less than what would be paid if students were to enroll at any of these institutions directly.

Also, if our university does not offer a particular program/location site that will fulfill your study abroad experience, the Office of International Programs and Services can help find the right program for you.


Frequently Asked Questions

  • What exchange/long-term study abroad programs are offered through Coastal Carolina University?
  • What does it cost to apply?
  • For what length of time can I study abroad?
  • When and how do I apply?  What is the deadline?
  • Are there GPA requirements?
  • How will my grades/credits transfer back to CCU?
  • Can I take a distance learning course while abroad?
  • What if I am going on a non-CCU program?
  • What courses transfer back to CCU?
  • What should I do if upon arrival, my original course selections have been changed or are not offered?
  • Where should I have my transcripts sent?
  • How do I register for the next semester?
  • Can I study abroad if I do not speak a foreign language?
  • I receive financial aid-can I use it for study abroad?
  • What about scholarships?
  • Do I need a passport?  How do I get one?
  • What is a visa and do I need one?
  • Do I need a bank account?  How do I open one and what is the best way to transfer my money abroad?
  • Where will I live?
  • What about cell phone?
  • What about immunizations?
  • Do I need insurance?

What exchange/study abroad programs are offered through Coastal Carolina University?

Two types of long-term study abroad opportunities exist: CCU Exchange Partner Programs and Study Abroad Programs offered through Third-Party Providers that have affiliation agreements with our university.

Participants on Exchange Programs pay in-state tuition to Coastal Carolina University and not to the host institution. One exception exists through our agreement with Deakin University in Australia where our students either pay CCU in-state tuition (Exchange Slots Available) or pay an assessment rate set by Deakin for non-exchange students.


  • Australia – Deakin University (All Subjects)
  • China – Beijing Language and Culture University (Lang/Humanities)
  • Ecuador – Universidad San Francisco de Quito (All Subjects)
  • Ecuador – Universidad San Francisco de Quito (GAIAS)
  • Ecuador – Universidad de Cuenca (Language/Humanities)
  • England – University of Exeter (All Subjects)
  • France – Ecole Superieure du Commerce Exterieur in Paris (Business)
  • France – Ecole de Management de Normandie (Business)
  • Germany – FH Koblenz RheinAhrCampus Remagen (Business)
  • Germany – University of Applied Sciences in Mainz (Undergraduate)
  • Germany – University of Applied Sciences in Mainz (MA.IB)
  • Germany – University of Applied Sciences in Rheinbach (New International Business Certificate program for one semester)
  • Germany – University of Applied Sciences in Rheinbach (Biology)
  • Japan – Nagoya University of Foreign Studies (Language/Humanities)  
  • Japan – Osaka Gakuin University (Language/Business)
  • Lithuania – Vilnius University (Business)
  • Spain – Universidad Europea de Madrid (Business)

Third-Party Provider Programs are programs offered through independent companies that contract with universities abroad to provide study abroad opportunities to university students.  Study abroad fees are set by the host institution/program.  You pay costs that are determined by that program, not by Coastal Carolina University.  These programs can range in cost from $9, 950 - $16,000.  CCU has affliation agreements with the following providers.  Students interested in providers not affliated with CCU should contact the OIPS before applying.

  • American Institute for Foreign Studies (AIFS)
  • International Studies Abroad (ISA)
  • GlobaLinks (AustraLearn, EuroLearn & AsiaLearn)


What does it cost to apply?

If applying for a Coastal Carolina University exchange program, there is a $175 application fee payable at the time of application.  If applying for a third-party provider program, contact the individual provider for application/deposit fees.

For what length of time can I study abroad?

As a Coastal Carolina University student, you can study abroad for a semester or a full academic year.

When and how do I apply?  What is the deadline?

You should apply at least one semester prior to the semester you would like to study abroad.  You must meet with an advisor in the OIPS before applying to any exchange or study abroad program.  Once you have selected a program, you will need to complete the Exchange/Study Abroad Application, the host institution/third-party provider application, and the Special Enrollment Form (course approval form), and return these documents to the Office of International Programs & Services.  Application for Fall 2013 entry should reach us before April 15, 2013; Application for Spring 2013 entry should reach us before October 31, 2012.  Any applications received after these dates may be considered at the University's discretion.  Applicatons for the non-CCU exchange programs vary on their deadlines so check the providers' websites.    

Are there GPA requirements?

Some programs have their own specific GPA requirements, but generally the minimum is a 3.0 GPA for the OIPS to recommend you to a program.  Check with the OIPS for requirements for specific programs of study.  The GPA requirement for the Third-Party Provider program vary so check their programs for specifics found on the providers websites. 

How will my grades/credits transfer back to CCU?

If you study on an exchange program at one of our partner institutions or with an independent program, only the credits will transfer back to CCU, not the grades.  Regardless of program, during the application process you must meet with your academic advisor and the OIPS to complete the Special Enrollment Form which is the required course approval form.  The form must be signed by your academic advisor, department chair and college dean for each course you intend to take while abroad.  Once you have the appropriate signatures, return the form to the OIPS.  A completed and signed form will serve as a contract ensuring that as long as you make a "C" or better in the approved courses, the credits will transfer to Coastal Carolina University.

Can I take a distance learning course while studying abroad?

"Students studying on an approved semester study-abroad program and who are paying CCU tuition to participate in this process are eligible to enroll in up to 1 course via distance education during the semester in which they are studying abroad for which they will not be assessed additional tuition if both of the following conditions are satisfied:  (1) either through policy of the hosting institution to restrict course load to 12 equivalent CCU credit hours or despite best efforts of the student, advisor, host institution, and OIPS, it is not possible for the student to take the equivalent of 15 credit hours to transfer back to CCU during the semester abroad; and (2) the student has all prerequisites for the respective distance education course at CCU.  The student would remain responsible for any lab fees charged as a part of the distance learning course on CCU’s campus during this program.  Registration is specifically restricted to 1 distance learning course on CCU’s campus during the semester abroad, since the goals of the study abroad experience include the student’s engagement in the academic and social life of the respective host location.  Thus, the total credits registered for at CCU in the given semester, inclusive of the 1 distance education course at CCU during the semester abroad, may not exceed 15 credit hours if the student is seeking to participate in a distance education course offered at CCU while abroad. "

What courses transfer back to Coastal Carolina University?

Click attached Prevously Approved Courses to view a complete listing of courses taken abroad and the CCU equivalencies that have transferred.

What shouuld I do if upon arrival at my host institution, my course selections have been changed or are not offered?

Contact the OIPS immediately via email as we can assist you in working with your academic advisor here at CCU to determine if an equivalent course is available.  Otherwise, you may find yourself without the CCU equivalent course(s) you need to graduate.  DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!

Where should I have my transcript sent?

Have your transcript sent directly to the OIPS.  Once we receive the transcript, we will match it up with your "Special Enrollment Form" and submit it to the Registrar's Office so the credit will be applied to your academic record.   Again, if you've taken courses not previously approved on the SEF, contact the OIPS immediately.  Transcripts should be sent to: Office of International Programs and Services, 103 Tom Trout Dr., SNGL 119, Conway, SC 29526, USA.

How do I register for the next semester?

During a required outbound on-site orientation, you will be required to provide the OIPS with a pre-approval form completed and signed by your academic advisor listing the courses you plan to take upon your return to the Coastal Carolina University campus.  This form will allow us to assist you in your registration process.

Can I study abroad if I do not speak a foreign language?

Yes. Our exchange partner institutions offer courses in English.  There are options in English speaking countries, but we encourage you to take a foreign language, if feasible.  Competency in the foreign language (see page 119 in the 2012-2013 catalog for Goal 5A requirements) for more information.

I receive financial aid/scholarships.  Can I use these for study abroad?

It is imparative that you check with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships early in the plannning stage of the study abroad process.  Every student file is different and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will provide you with the guidance you need to plan accordingly.  If you are an Horry County high school graduate, check out the Horry County Higher Education Commission International Awareness Award.

Do I need a Passport?  How do I get one?

Yes.  Application forms and directions on how to apply are available at the U.S. Department of State website: http://www.state.gov/ Also, it is important to allow at least four months processing time for a passport and it must be valid for six months in order to travel. 

What is a visa and do I need one?

A visa is a document, issued by the country you are visiting, that allows you to legally enter a country.  It generally confirms your status as a student while visiting that country.  Not all countries require a visa for U.S. citizens.  Visa requirements are based on country of citizenship, length of stay, etc.

Do I need a bank account?  How do I open one and what is the best way to transfer my money abroad?

For an extended stay abroad, a local bank account can be very useful.  You usually receive an ATM/Debit card that will make financial transactions much easier and more cost-effective.  Most American banks will perform international wire transfers to your new account broad for roughly $50, but you could also withdraw cash abroad with your American ATM/Debit card for a small fee and then deposit it in your new account.  If you plan on using your ATM/Debit card abroad, it is important to notify your bank of your travel plans to ensure access to your money.  Also, it is a good idea to change your PIN to a 4-digit number since foreign ATM machines may only accept 4 digits.  It is also useful to give a family member or friend power-of-attorney over your American account so they can endorse checks for you or transfer money from that account to you abroad.

Where will I live?

Dorms, shared apartments or host families are all housing options.  Each program's housing offerings vary.

What about cell phone requirements?

As most standard US cell phones will not work outside the United States and while not required for most programs, many students have inquired about how to rent or buy a cell phone for use abroad.

Before investigating providers, we recommend learning a bit about how international cell phones work.  There is an excellent article from the on-line magazine, Travel Inside, which describes the types of phones and services available abroad.

However, before signing up with a new cell phone provider, don't forget to check first with your current cell phone provider.  You may find that they can temporarily upgrade you to a tri-band phone that is capable of receiving service abroad, allowing you to use your current phone number abroad.  Be sure to discuss rates and fees as they are likely to be higher than what you pay for domestic service and have more restrictions.  Remember, too, that you also have the option of buying an inexpensive, disposable phone upon arriving abroad.   These typically operate on a pay-as-you-go system.

Do I need vaccinations to participate?

Coastal Carolina University adheres to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations.  Visit the website: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/ for information regarding your particular destination.

Do I need insurance?

Coastal Carolina University requires that you acquire health insurance that includes medical coverage as well as evacuation and repatriation during your stay abroad.  Some countries require that you take out insurance as part of their immigration/visa requirements as well.  Please individual programs/countries for more information.


For more information, visit the Office of International Programs and Services in the Singleton Building, Rm. 119 or email lori@coastal.edu.