Description of the Major:
Accounting has often been called the language of business becaus it provides fundamental information about business enterprises to managers and other employees, investors, creditors, regulators and the public. These users of accounting information make decisions based on what they know about companies and other entities, including governmental units and nonprofits. Accounting is an ongoing process of identifying important information in an accounting system. Periodically, this information is communicated to internal and external users in the form of reports and financial statements. This process is carried out in accordance with generally accepted principles, laws and regulations and ethical standards.
The Student Experience:
- The E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration is accredited by AACSB International, the premier accrediting body for business colleges.
- There are two different accounting tracks for students in the major. Students can prepare for work in the Certified Public Accountant track or the Certified Management Accountant track.
- Students have the opportunity to work as interns during college, and many participate in volunteer work with the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- The Lambda Kappa Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi is Coastal Carolina University's honor organization for accounting students and professionals. There are more than 300 chapters on college and university campuses with more than 300,000 members initiated since Beta Alpha Psi's formation.
Beyond the Classroom:
- Recent graduates of the University accounting program have taken jobs as auditors and tax experts with public accounting firms such as Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and local and regional firms.
- For students who wish to continue their education, Coastal Carolina University offers a specialized Master of Accountancy (MAcc) with taxation and audit concentrations.
Areas of Study
|Intermediate Accounting I, II and III||Auditing|
|Accounting Systems and Data Processing||Income Taxation for Business Entities|
Individual Income Taxation
For more information:
- Greg Krippel, Ph.D., Department Chair, 843-349-2643 or email@example.com