Description of the Major:
Philosophy is the study of the most fundamental questions that arise in our reflection on ourselves and our place in the natural world. It enhances analytical, critical and interpretive capacities that are applicable to any subject-matter, and it cultivates the capacities and appetite for self-expression and reflection, for exchange and debate of ideas, and for life-long learning.
The Student Experience:
- The study of philosophy provides good preparation for jobs that demand careful reading, critical thinking, intelligent decision making and sound judgment.
- The philosophical skills of carefully reading a bit of text and making a case for a particular interpretation is very much like the lawyer or judge's job in handling the law. It is, therefore, no surprise that many philosophy majors are pre-law students. Traditionally, philosophy majors are among the top performers on the Law School Aptitude Test.
- The philosophy department at Coastal Carolina University offers small and engaging classes and provides excellent advising and support for each individual student.
Beyond the Classroom:
Many philosophy majors plan to go to Law School after graduation. The intellectual rigors of philosophy also serve pre-medical students quite well. Through their reading, writing, and questioning, philosophy majors develop skills that serve them well as journalists and writers. Philosophy majors often put their intellectual skills to work in executive/management sectors of business either via corporate management trainee progams or business school. Philosophy majors also pursue graduate study. Usually, they study philosophy in graduate school, but other areas such as cognitive science, English, history and philosophy of science, and psychology are possibilities.
Areas of Study:
|Introduction to Philosophy|
|Introduction to Logic and Critical Thinking|
|Contemporary Moral Issues|
|Philosophy of Religion|
|Introduction to East Asian Religions|
|Introduction to Buddhism|
For more information:
- Preston McKever-Floyd, Ph.D., Department Chair, 843-349-2460 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Margaret Fineagan, Administrative Specialist, 843-349-2731 or email@example.com
- You can also find more information at www.coastal.edu/philosophy.