Frequently Asked Questions
Youth to be served: K-8th graders referred by school personnel, with parent(s)' permission
Mentors: Coastal Carolina University students (sophomore and above) who complete mentor requirements (background check, interview and training)
Type of Mentoring to be provided: One-on-one and teams
Nature of mentoring sessions: Academic support, social skills and life skills reinforcement
When/Where: At school, during mealtime or as requested by teacher; one group activity, such as a visit to Coastal Carolina University, each semester
How often: One hour per week each semester (10 total school visits minimum)
How long: Continue with the same child as long as possible
Where: At participating schools
RETURNING STUDENTS: Will you continue to mentor this semester?
If YES, thank you so much! Please
- Complete this year's Mentor Application
- Continue to mentor the same child unless a change of placement is requested
- Email BiddleCenter@coastal.edu or call 843-349-2665 to schedule a time, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to meet with the Mentoring Program staff, 219 Baxley Hall, to confirm your student's school location, sign release forms, learn about any program changes, and new mentoring resources.
- You do NOT need to attend a new mentor workshop
- If you are not taking a mentoring course, we appreciate your volunteer service. We will continue to keep a record of your service hours.
- Assist us with Mentor Program Training and Orientation Workshop for new mentors. Your experiences are invaluable. Email BiddleCenter@coastal.edu with your workshop date preference(s).
- Register for one mentor program group activity each semester. Details will be posted on Coastal Connection.