facebook icon twitter youtube

Financing Your Graduate Education

We know what a financial strain paying for higher education can be for a student and his or her family. Tuition, fees, books, food, housing and living expenses are all part of the package of getting a quality education.

At Coastal Carolina University, we are committed to making a high quality, professional education affordable for every qualified student.  If meeting educational costs is a concern, we encourage you to apply for financial aid, regardless of family financial circumstances.  Many of our graduate students receive aid in the form of loans, assistantships and/or employer assistance.

We encourage you to explore your financing options through our Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and to investigate other opportunities for funding, such as assistantships or outside scholarships.

Financial Aid and Tuition

Graduate Assistantships

Coastal Carolina University offers a limited number of graduate assistantships on a competitive basis.  All applicants, both U.S. and international applicants, are eligible to apply. There is a separate application for this type of financial assistance. For more information visit the Graduate Studies website.

U.S. Federal Student Loans

All U.S. citizens and permanent residents (unless you have defaulted on a previous federal student loan) are eligible for a low-interest, long-term federal Stafford loan of $20,500 for each year of graduate studies. To apply for these loans, graduate students must be fully admitted into a degree-seeking program and then must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Coastal Carolina University’s Federal School Code is 003451. Students should pay attention to the year for which the FAFSA must be completed, as there are time periods that two different academic year FAFSA forms are available simultaneously online.

FAFSA's may be completed electronically. Prior to filing electronically, you must obtain a PIN number to use in signing your application. You may request a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. Students must reapply each year to be considered for aid for the following academic year.

Graduate students are eligible for a maximum of $8,500 per year in a Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan funds. Federal Unsubsidized Loans may also be available in amounts up to $12,000 per year depending on the student's cost of attendance (determined by the University), and assistance they may receive through other financial aid programs. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 semester hours per term to be eligible to receive federal student loans. Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling is required for all students who wish to receive this type of loan and must be complete before funds will be disbursed.

Graduate students are also eligible for Federal Grad PLUS loans. Students must enroll at least half-time (six hours) and maintain satisfactory academic progress. Grad PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling is required for all students who wish to receive this type of loan and must be complete before funds will be disbursed.

Students who are admitted as non-degree students or into the fraud examiner certificate program are not eligible to receive federal student loans. Students who are enrolled in prerequisite courses for a graduate program may be eligible for federal student loans. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information on eligibility.

Payment Plans

CCU’s Office of Student Accounts offers many payment options to facilitate tuition payment. Accepted methods of payment include personal checks, money orders, certified checks, credit card and cash payments (made in person only).

They also offer a budget payment plan to qualified students and facilitates disbursement of federal loan proceeds in association with the Office of Financial Aid. For more information visit the Student Accounts website.

Veterans and Veterans' Dependents Benefits

If you are veteran who served on continuous active duty for 181 days or more after January 31, 1955, you may be eligible for educational benefits under the Montgomery G.I. Bill or Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP). In addition, a variety of loans, employment opportunities and other forms of financial assistance are available to veterans. If you are a dependent of a veteran who died or is permanently disabled as a result of service in the Armed Services, or if you are serving in the services, you may be eligible for educational benefits. For further information, please visit the Office of Financial Aid.  You can also contact Sheila Singleton, VA Coordinator, at 843-349-2364.

International Students

International students applying for, or currently holding student visas or any type of non-immigrant visa, are not eligible for federal funds, including Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study and the Federal Stafford Loan. To learn more about other funding options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid. International students are eligible to apply for Graduate Assistantships and Student Employment  on campus.

Alternative Loans

An alternative loan can help to pay the student’s remaining expenses after financial aid has been applied to the bill. The alternative loans are credit-based and offer flexible repayment options. Alternative loans are to be used to supplement other forms of financial aid. Alternative loans are student loans, with the student listed as the borrower. Most alternative loans will require that the student also have a credit worthy co-signer in order to be eligible.  Interest rates are variable and are set by the individual lender. Additional information about alternative loans is available through the financial aid office.