Free Tax Assistance through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance(VITA)Program
Accounting students in the E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration, in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, are offering free income tax preparation once again this year. Trained student volunteers will prepare and electronically file basic federal and state income tax returns for those earning less than $53,000 a year.
The assistance is available in Wall 204 from Tuesday, Feb. 17 through Thursday, April 2 on Tuesdays from 4:30 to 7 p.m., and Thursdays from 2 to 7 p.m. There will be no VITA hours during spring break, which is March 9-13.
Please bring the following documents (if applicable) to have your tax returns prepared:
* Proof of identification (photo ID, for example: driver's license)
* Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
* Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
* Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, 1099-G, 1099-R, etc.
* Interest income and dividend statements (Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV)
* Tuition statement, form 1098-T
* Bank routing number and account number for direct deposit of your refund (this information will be on your checks)
* Amounts paid for daycare and the daycare provider's name, address and social security number (or the provider's business employer identification number)
* A copy of last year's federal and state tax returns
Please note the following:
On a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required electronic-filing forms.
* Students need to know whether they are claimed as dependents on their parents' tax return or whether they are independent.
* If you would like to itemize your deductions, you must bring an organized, summarized list of your medical expenses (including health insurance) and charitable contributions.
* Tax returns are prepared on a first-come, first-served basis.
* No tax returns can be started within one hour of closing time.
For more information, contact Dave Mason, Ph.D., associate professor of accounting, at email@example.com or 843-349-4147.