Coastal Carolina coordinates campus relief events
Coastal also is assisting students displaced from colleges and universities in the affected areas. The admissions staff is working with these students on a case-by-case basis to assist them in registering for academic courses and obtaining housing.
Following are some Katrina-related activities on campus. This list will be posted and updated on the university web site at www.coastal.edu. Proceeds from all these events go to the relief efforts.
- "Coastal Cares for our Coastal Friends," features a band and food on the Student Center Deck on Wednesday, Sept. 7 from 11a.m. to 2 p.m., sponsored by Students Taking Active Responsibility (STAR) and Coastal Productions. Pizza and soft drinks will be sold for $1, and tie-dye T- shirts will sell for $3.
- Coastal Carolina University's Gospel Choir is planning a Prayer Circle on Prince Lawn on Thursday, Sept. 8 from 11:20 to 11:30 a.m.
- Virtue Trap and the Necessary Brothers bands are hosting a Thursday concert on the Student Center Deck starting at 1:30 p.m. Food and drinks will be available. The concert will last "until all pockets are emptied out," according to band organizers.
- The CCU Tennis Team is passing buckets around at Saturday's football game against James Madison University at 7 p.m. at Brooks Stadium.
- Horry County Scholar's Academy plans a 12-hour walk-a-thon on Sept 16-17 on the Coastal track. Pledges are requested for each hour walked, rather than the number of laps walked. They will also accept drop-by monetary donations.
For more information, call 349-2302.
To find out how you can help in the community, visit www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mid/myrtlebeachonline/12551602.htm