Coastal's bell tower receives design award from Conway
The 25-bell tower, located in Coastal's Spadoni Park, is constructed of steel and topped with a pitched, copper roof. It was cited for Outstanding Contribution to Quality Development, Restoration, Landscape or Design by an Organization or Individual. The award is named in honor of Mayor C.P. Quattlebaum, a past civic leader in Conway, and recognizes exceptional landscape projects within the corporate limits of the municipality.
The 40-foot bell and clock was named in honor of the late Harvey Graham Sr., a Loris businessman whose family made a significant contribution to the institution's 50th anniversary fundraising campaign. BB&T also made a gift to Coastal to support the Graham Bell Tower project, which was part of Coastal's 50th Anniversary Initiatives.
The tower and bells were constructed by the Verdin Company, which was founded in 1835 and is based in Cincinnati, Ohio.