Coastal planning inaugural events for new president
DeCenzo, who became president on May 7, is the second president of Coastal Carolina. He succeeds Ronald R. Ingle, who was president for 14 years. The institution was founded in 1954 and became an independent, state-supported university in 1993.
"Because Coastal Carolina University belongs to the people of South Carolina, the installation of the institution's second president is a once-in-a-lifetime event that we hope gives everyone - students, staff, faculty, alumni, distinguished guests and friends of the university - an opportunity to share in the excitement of Coastal," said Larry Biddle, chair of the inaugural committee.
"Dawning of a New Tomorrow" is the inaugural theme. Biddle, who also chaired former president Ingle's inauguration in 1994, said the new president asked him to ensure that the upcoming inaugural events involved the entire community. Dignitaries and delegates from colleges and universities from around the country are expected to participate in the ceremony.
Committees for faculty, staff and students, as well as community members have been charged by the Board of Trustees with planning the festivities. In addition to the inauguration ceremony, other festivities include:
* Inauguration Celebration featuring Lowcountry barbecue and chicken bog following the inauguration, Friday, Sept. 14, 5 p.m. Prince Lawn
* Golf Tournament, Saturday, Sept. 15, 7:30 a.m., $75 per person, with proceeds to provide scholarships for Coastal's Dalton and Linda Floyd Family Mentoring Program
* Pre-game Tailgate Party for students and alumni, Saturday, Sept. 15, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Singleton Lawn
* Coastal Football vs. Georgia Southern, Saturday, Sept. 15, 7 p.m., Brooks Stadium, reserved seat tickets $15 or general admission for $10. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning Aug. 13. Call the Athletic Office at 347-TIXX or toll free 1-877-4-CHANTS.
* Community Interfaith Worship Service, Sunday, Sept. 16, 11 a.m., Wheelwright Auditorium
Some inaugural activities will be by invitation only, while others will be open to the public and supported by private and corporate gifts. Sponsorship opportunities are available.
For more information, call 843-349-2568.