Tropical Storm Hanna update
Tropical Storm Hanna is expected to make landfall near the Horry County-Georgetown County border at approximately 2 a.m. Saturday. Forecasters predict that our area will experience heavy rain and high winds beginning Friday afternoon. The most intense period of the storm is expected to occur between 9 p.m. tonight and 6 a.m. Saturday morning, with winds of up to 70 miles an hour. Students are strongly encouraged to remain indoors and to stay off the roads this afternoon and into Saturday morning. The storm is expected to move out quickly on Saturday.
University classes and events have been cancelled through Saturday. Residence halls, campus food services and the Office of Public Safety will be fully operational throughout the weekend. Nonessential University employees may leave at 2 p.m. on Friday.
Gov. Mark Sanford has issued a voluntary evacuation for the beachfront area east of U.S. Highway 17. Voluntary evacuation centers have been set up at South Conway Elementary School and Loris Elementary School.
For the latest information about the projected path of the storm, visit the Web sites of the National Hurricane Center at www.nhc.noaa.gov or the Weather Channel at www.weather.com. For local weather updates, visit www.wpde.com, www.scnow.com or www.wmbfnews.com. For additional information on the storm, hurricane preparedness and voluntary evacuation shelters, go to Horry County's website at www.horrycounty.org or www.horrycounty.redcross.org.
The Chanticleer football game against Colgate University has been rescheduled to Sunday at 1 p.m. at Brooks Stadium. Tailgating may not begin before 9 a.m.
• The Commons will be open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• University Place Deli will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m.
• Kimbel Library will close at 2 p.m. today (Friday), and will re-open Saturday from 1 to 6 p.m. Regular hours (1 p.m. to 2 a.m.) will resume on Sunday.
• The Bookstore will close at 2 p.m. today (Friday) and will remain closed Saturday. It will re-open on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will resume regular hours on Monday. • The P.E. Center will be open Friday from 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from noon to 7 p.m. and Sunday from 2 to 11 p.m.
• Campus Shuttles: The Bronze Shuttle will operate on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. The Gateway Shuttle (to Conway) will not operate on Saturday.
• The Women's Soccer Tournament has been cancelled.
• The CINO Reunion planned for Saturday has been postponed for November 22.