Myrtle Beach Golf Conference opens today
The conference began at 8:45 a.m. with welcoming remarks by Brad Dean, CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. Today's program concludes at 6 p.m. with presentation of an award honoring Dr. Frank Sheid, also known as Professor Golf, who was instrumental in development of the USGA Handicap System in the late 1960s.
The conference continues Friday at 9 a.m. with round table discussions for golf course managers and professionals at the Holiday Inn. A "Corporate Boot Camp for PGM Program Participants" is scheduled for 9 a.m. in the E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration, room 318, at Coastal Carolina University.
A complete schedule is available online at www.myrtlebeachgolfconference.com.
Keynote speakers will include:
* David Downing, president of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA)
* Dalton Floyd Jr., an attorney who has represented both the PGA of America and the Carolinas Section of the PGA
* Golf course architect Craig Schreiner, who recently redesigned the greens at Firestone South (site of the World Golf Championship-Bridgestone Classic) and Pine Lakes International
* Walker Taylor IV, past president of the Donald Ross Society
* Andrew Tiger of Southeastern Oklahoma State University, the leading golf management science researcher in the field
Research papers will be presented in a variety of subject areas including golf economics, management science and golf, and applications of information technology to golf. Educational programming will be provided for collegiate PGA-PGM program participants. An academics journal devoted to the golf industry, The Journal of Golf, will be launched at the conference. Tiger, chair of the Department of Management and Marketing at Southeastern Oklahoma State, will edit the bi-annual publication.
For more information, visit www.MyrtleBeachGolfConference.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.