Coastal Carolina University board of trustees to explore charter status
The board approved a $22,500 market research project to be conducted by MarketSearch, a Columbia-based firm. The project will assist the University in its marketing and branding efforts.
The board also voted to approve an increase in residence hall fees, effective fall 2009. The fee for students living on campus in double rooms will increase $10 per semester, from $2,315 to $2,325. The fee for students living on campus in single rooms will increase $225 per semester, from $2,315 to $2,540. The increases do not apply to off-campus residences in University Place, which is governed by the Coastal Carolina University Student Housing Foundation rather than the board of trustees.
The board approved the following promotions:
• Steven R. Bailey has been promoted to associate professor of music
• Suzanne Senchak has been promoted to senior instructor of biology
• Erin Wolfe was been promoted to senior instructor of marine science
The board approved emeritus status for the following retiring faculty members:
• E. Eugene Collins, emeritus professor, retiring May 2008
• John Francis Farrelly, distinguished professor emeritus, retiring June 1, 2008
• Nancy S. Goettel, emeritus professor, retiring May 2008
Also, Clark Parker was named a trustee emeritus. Parker is a 1977 graduate of the University who served the institution in many important capacities through the years. He was an original member of the board of trustees, serving from 1993, when the University became an independent public institution, until 2008.