In This Section

CCU Trustees begin implementing Master Plan

October 21, 2011

At its quarterly meeting today, Coastal Carolina Universitys board of trustees moved forward in implementing elements of the Campus Master Plan approved earlier this year.

In accordance with the objectives of the plan, the board approved motions that will create a pedestrian-oriented green area in the center of the campus. Parking and vehicular traffic lanes will be removed, and new landscaping will emphasize safe pedestrian circulation. To offset the loss of parking in these areas, two lots are being constructed on the campus perimeter.

Also in conjunction with the Master Plan, the board approved the construction of the Athletic Plaza, a pedestrian walkway connecting campus sports facilities such as Brooks Stadium and Charles L. Watson Stadium to the campus center.

Other measures were approved in response to needs created by the Universitys growing enrollment and expanding campus. Motions were approved to proceed with planning for a new student housing facility, two new dining/catering facilities, and a tennis facility. Plans to proceed with the second phase of the planned expansion of the Hicks Dining Hall were also approved, as well as plans to renovate the Williams-Brice Building/Kimbel Arena.

The board approved changing the name of the Quail Creek Golf Club to the General James Hackler Golf Course at Coastal Carolina University. The renaming is a result of a significant bequest from the late Gen. Hackler (1920-2007), a career U.S. Air Force officer who was a leader in the Grand Strand golf industry and a longtime CCU supporter.

The board announced that CCU has received the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting, a national award given by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), for its comprehensive annual financial report for fiscal year 2009-2010.

The board approved a one-year lease for the Foundation Center building on U.S. 501.

The board awarded the title Distinguished Professor to faculty member Sara L. Sanders as she enters her final year of service to the University.