CCU establishes endowed professorship in archaeology
Born in Florence, S.C., Michie led a distinguished career as an archaeologist in South Carolina, directing many important excavation projects in the state. He is especially known for his archaeological investigations of plantation sites in Georgetown County, including Mansfield, Wachesaw, Richmond Hill and The Oaks.
Michie earned a bachelor's degree in anthropology from the University of South Carolina and a master's degree from the University of Tennessee. Prior to his formal education, he conducted original research on the prehistory of the state.
From 1976 to 1989, Michie worked with the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology at the University of South Carolina. He joined the Coastal Carolina faculty in 1990, serving as associate director of CCU's Waccamaw Center for Cultural and Historical Studies until his retirement in 1997. His book, "Richmond Hill, 1810-1868: The Discovery of Antebellum Life on a Waccamaw Rice Plantation," was published in 1990. Michie cofounded the Archaeological Society of South Carolina and received its Lifetime Achievement Award in 1998. He also served on the board of directors of the Horry County Historical Society.
"James Michie laid the foundation for the new Center of Archaeology and Anthropology at Coastal Carolina University," said Cheryl Ward, associate professor of history at CCU and director of the new center. "He had a passion for archaeology. His curiosity, intelligence and dry wit, and his willingness to ask the most basic questions about artifacts, made a deep impact on his professional colleagues and his students."
For more information, contact CCU's Center for Archaeology and Anthropology at 843-349-6657.