CCU student achievement recognized at honors convocation
Courtney Elliton, a senior marine science major of Huntingtown, Md., received the Distinguished Student Award, which recognizes a student with superior accomplishments in both academics and campus service. Eilliton was named to the President's List (4.0 GPA) for seven semesters, and she received both the Leader of the Year award from the service honor society Omicron Delta Kappa and the 2013 Ronald D. Lackey Service Award.
Holley Tankersley, associate professor of politics, was named Distinguished Professor of the Year. She joined the CCU faculty in 2006 and served as adviser to CCU's delegation to the South Carolina Student Legislature. In 2008, she received the Edwards College of Humanities and Fine Arts Distinguished Faculty Award for Teaching. Tankersley chairs the Department of Politics and Geography.
The Distinguished Adviser of the Year Award went to Amanda Darden, student services coordinator for CCU's Spadoni College of Education. Also, Olga Tweedy, senior marine science major, was recognized for receiving a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship.
Departmental awards were presented to 43 students in recognition of outstanding academic accomplishments and contributions to the academic quality of their respective departments. The following students received departmental and honor awards:
• Interdisciplinary Studies - Lori Cox of Conway
E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration:
• Accounting - Lindsey Weintraub of Myrtle Beach
• Economics - Cora Panos of Myrtle Beach
• Economics - Tessa Deneen of Myrtle Beach
• Finance - Matthew Jenness of Myrtle Beach
• Management - Jihoon Kang of Myrtle Beach
• Marketing - Shelby McGee of Myrtle Beach
• Master of Accountancy - Whitney Hucks of Myrtle Beach
• Master of Business Administration - Joshua Chesner of Myrtle Beach
• Resort Tourism Management - Kara Yeomans of Columbia
Spadoni College of Education:
• Early Childhood Education - Dani Yarborough of Conway
• Elementary Education - Katie Reddington of Hillsborough, N.J.
• Master of Arts in Teaching - Stephyn Eaton of Littleton, Colo.
• Master of Education-Educational Leadership - Lindsay Purdy of Myrtle Beach
• Master of Education-Learning and Teaching - Jessica Wolf of Myrtle Beach
• Middle Level Education - Sydni Donellan of Conway
• Physical Education - Taryn Earl of New Windsor, N.Y.
• Special Education - Christen Shelley of Conway
Thomas W. and Robin W. Edwards College of Humanities and Fine Arts:
• Art Studio - Mary Sheehy of Hampton, N.H.
• Communication - Bruce Turman of Little River
• Dramatic Arts - Elyse Brown of Amherst, N.H.
• English - Rebecca Shaver of Murrells Inlet
• Graphic Design - Marcello Garofalo of Charleston
• History - Alexander Beck of Glen Allen, Va.
• Music - Katie Elizabeth Clark of Galivants Ferry
• Musical Theatre - Jacqueline Wiatrowski of Levittown, Pa.
• Philosophy - Brian Tracy of Conway
• Political Science - Desmond Wallace of Myrtle Beach
• Spanish - Shaun Lindquist of Georgetown
College of Science:
• Biology - Lauryn Luderman of Conway
• Biochemistry - David Walling of Piedmont
• Chemistry - Rebecca Coburn of Marbury, Md.
• Computer Science - Benjamin Whetstone of Pawleys Island
• Computer Science/Information Systems - Dylan Houston of Little River
• Exercise and Sport Science - Stephanie Bunch of Pelham, Ala.
• Health Promotion - Christine Po of Loris
• Marine Science - Elizabeth Brannon of Myrtle Beach
• Mathematics and Statistics - Jacqueline Leake of Woodbine, Md.
• Nursing - Ovsanna Gallo of Conway
• Physics - Laura Covington of Conway
• Psychology - Jamie Glass of Aiken
• Recreation and Sport Management - Jacqueline Leake of Woodbine, Md.
• Sociology - Jamie Glass of Aiken