Three appointed to Horry County Higher Education Commission
Chandler is a retired educator who has served as a teacher, principal and administrator. He earned a bachelor's degree in elementary education from Catawba College and a master's degree in educational administration from the University of Virginia. Chandler began his career as a teacher in the public schools of Prince William County, Va. He was an elementary and junior high school principal in Florence County, S.C., before joining Horry County Schools in 1977 as director of Elementary and Middle School Education. Before retiring in 2000 he was Horry County Schools' deputy superintendent for system accountability. Chandler now serves as a consultant with Susan Kovalik & Associates.
Dozier is a retired educator who served as librarian at Whittemore Park Middle School for 44 years. A native of Anderson, S.C., she earned a bachelor's degree from Benedict College, and she won a Carnegie Scholarship to the graduate program in library service at Atlanta University. Dozier is a trustee of the Horry County Public Library system, a former member of the Morris College Board of Trustees and a trustee at Mount Calvary No. 1 Missionary Baptist Church.
Vogel is a school psychologist with Horry County Schools. A native of Montclair, N.J., she earned a bachelor's degree in psychology from the State University of New York at Buffalo, a master's degree in school psychology from Alfred University and a Ph.D. in family and child development from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. She is a member of the Pee Dee Association of School Psychologists, the National Association of School Psychologists and the National Council on Family Relations.
The Horry County Higher Education Commission was formed in 1959 by the South Carolina General Assembly to develop higher education opportunities for students of Horry County. Commission members are recommended by the Horry County Legislative Delegation and appointed by the Governor of South Carolina. The organization has played a significant role in the continuing development of Coastal Carolina University.