facebook icon twitter youtube

Transfer Students

Transfer Students

Transfer students should review the statement of credits accepted for transfer and work with his or her advisor to ensure that all Core Curriculum requirements are fulfilled prior to graduation per the Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16 p. 27.

Your individual Program Evaluation form provides the easiest method of tracking student progress towards completing the Core Curriculum. Courses transferred in from other universities and courses completed at Coastal Carolina University will display as completed on the form. You must login to WebAdvisor to see the form.

Specific Situations:

  • Core Goal 1A (English): Transfer students may satisfy Part A with 6-8 hours of transferable credit for English 101 and English 102.
  • Core Goal 5A (Langauges) : Transfer students may satisfy Part A with six credit hours of transferable foreign language in sequence from previous institutions or with three credit hours at the 130 level or above.

Transferring in Courses

In some instances students may have taken courses at other institutions that meet the student learning outcomes for a specific core area. If these courses do not transfer in as core courses, consult your advisor to determine if you should initiate an "Exception to the Core Curriculum Petition" to receive credit for previously completed courses.

Does My Transfer Course Work for the Core?  will answer basic questions about what types of courses are suitable for each Core Goal Area.

Petition Process for Transfers  is an overview of the process.

Worksheet for Transfers lets you identify courses that are candidates for the petition process.

 Another option is to work with your Advisor to complete a "Transfer Credit Evaluation Adjustment" form. This is most appropriate when a course comes in as an XXX course, but you and your advisor feel it should have come in as a CCU course.

Transfer Students with an Earned A.A., A.S., B.A., or B.S Degree, or International B.S. or B.A., or International Master's Degree (with 150 hours)

A student will be exempt from having to meet core curriculum requirements if the student is accepted to the University with an earned Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Baccalaureate of Arts, or Baccalaureate of Science degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S., with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited international institution of higher education, or with a master's degree (that requires at least 150 equivalent U.S. credit hours to complete) form an accredited international institution of higher education.

Coursework from external institutions will be evaluated for transfer to the University on an individual basis in accordance with established transfer policies and procedures. (See Transfers, pages 23-30, in the Undergraduate Catalog.) Instead of applying towards core requirements, transferred course credits may be applied to foundation, minor, cognate or major requirements, or may be counted as electives.

Note: credit for the Core requirement courses will not be awarded as a result of the exemption. All requirements for the awarding of degrees, including prerequisites, minimum credits earned and minimum grades still apply. All course prerequisites and co-requisites still apply. Associate in Applied Science degrees, and degrees from foreign institutions are not eligible for the core curriculum exemption.