facebook icon twitter youtube

Student Advocacy and Intervention FAQ

Student Advocacy and Intervention FAQ

How is working with the Advocacy and Intervention Manager different from working with the Counseling Center?

The Counseling Center provides ongoing therapy within the confines of a confidential therapeutic relationship. While a referral to Counseling Services may ultimately be recommended, Advocacy and Intervention takes an immediate, solution-focused approach designed to connect students to the appropriate resources based on presenting concerns.

If the Student Advocacy and Intervention Manager contacts me, does it mean I am in trouble?

No. There are a variety of reasons why the Student Advocacy and Intervention Manager may contact you, but generally contact is made in an effort to offer resources that may be beneficial for you. However, it is important to keep in mind that failure to respond to efforts made to contact you may heighten the level of concern, so it is advised to respond and take advantage of the opportunity to voice your perspective on the concern presented.

Do I need to make an appointment?

Students are always welcome to call, email, or stop by the Student Advocacy and Intervention Manager’s office in Prince 105 I between 8:30-5 M-F. However, making an appointment will guarantee you an uninterrupted period of time and ensure that you will not have to wait. To make an appointment, contact Sara Peacock at 349-4161 or speacock@coastal.edu

Can I make an anonymous report?

Anonymity cannot be guaranteed when making a report, but every effort will be made to respect the wishes of those reporting. Depending on the nature of the report, it is often possible to address it anonymously. However, there are certain instances in which this is not possible. If you would like to report a concern anonymously, you may do so by contacting the Department of Public Safety TIPS line at (843) 349-TIPS. 

Contact Information