Admission Requirements for the Professional Program Teacher Education (PPTE)
Download PDF Version (71 KB)
Criteria for admission to the Professional Program are identified below. Students having questions concerning these procedures should direct them to their academic advisor. Students typically apply for admissions during the second semester of their sophomore year.
- Completion of the application for Admission to the Professional Program.
- Completion of ENGL 101, ENGL 102 or approved communications class, and EDUC 204 with a minimum grade of "C" or better in each course.
- Completion of the appropriate education foundation course/courses (based on certification area) with a minimum grade of "C" or better:
- EDUC 111 (for Elementary, Early Childhood, Special Ed.-LD, Middle Level)
- Completion of Professional Behavior & Dispositions Self Evaluation submitted in LiveText.
- Completion of at least 60 hrs of college credit with a minimum cumulative GPA of a 2.50 prior to fall 2014 and 2.6 after fall 2014.
(NOTE: The required minimum 60 hrs of college credit does not mean students must have their University Core Curriculum completed prior to their admission into the professional program. However, students are strongly encouraged to complete the University Core courses as soon as possible, preferably prior to admission into the teacher education program. (ALL coursework must be completed prior to the professional internship semester).
- Passing Scores on Praxis I tests or meet the SAT or ACT exemption policy:
- Minimum Required Scores: READING: 175, WRITING: 173, MATH: 172
- PRAXIS I exemption policy: Students who have received a minimum score on either SAT or ACT tests could possibly be exempted from the Praxis I tests requirement:
- 1100+ on the OLD version of the SAT...or
- 1650+ on the NEW version of the SAT (Verbal, Math, Writing)...or
- 24+ on the ACT
- Approval of Portal I Faculty Committee.