Keeping Our Campus Safe
The safety, security and welfare of Coastal Carolina University students and the entire University community is central to fulfilling our mission. Our commitment to ensuring campus safety encompasses a number of security measures. One of these is CCU Alert, a text messaging notification system for all students (and their parents), faculty and staff. In the event of an emergency, CCU Alert is a critical component in our communications procedure and provides quick notification in the event of a campus emergency, including threatening weather events. I encourage everyone in the University community to sign-up.
Other measures that are part of our safety and security effort include:
- An emergency information center website, dedicated to emergency preparedness;
- Campus-wide 24-hour security plus more than 400 video cameras, 123 call boxes and 1,000 panic alarms;
- Access security control for Ingle and Eaglin residence halls;
- Enhanced lighting in parking lots, sidewalks and around buildings;
- Trained responders, many of whom are sworn police officers, fire and safety officers, and security guards, as well as others who have earned FEMA certification; and the
- Students at Risk Team of professional staff and faculty who identify and assist students whose behaviors are disruptive to the educational and/or residence hall environment or raise safety-related concerns.
I welcome your suggestions on additional ways we may enhance the campus-wide effort toward providing the safety and security that will support an environment of learning and discovery for all.
David A. DeCenzo
President, Coastal Carolina University