Keeping Our Campus Safe
The safety, security and welfare of Coastal Carolina University students and the entire University community are central to fulfilling our mission. Our commitment to ensuring campus safety encompasses a number of emergency management initiatives and security measures in a comprehensive emergency management program that includes prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery planning and preparedness programs. Our emergency management director will ensure the implementation of the program.
A key security measure is CCU Alert, a text messaging notification system for all students (and their families), faculty and staff. In the event of an emergency, CCU Alert provides quick notification of a campus emergency, including a threatening weather event. I encourage everyone in the University community to sign up for CCU Alert.
Other measures that are part of our safety and security effort include:
- More than 105 uniformed police officers and security officers ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors;
- Campus-wide 24-hour security including more than 700 security cameras, 138 emergency call boxes, and over 1,000 panic alarms;
- Enhanced lighting in parking lots, sidewalks and around buildings;
- Access security control for Ingle and Eaglin residence halls, as well as for Swain and Brittain halls and the HTC Center;
- Trained responders, many of whom are sworn police officers, fire and safety officers, and security guards, as well as others who have earned FEMA certifications;
- Enhanced safety and security training programs for all faculty and staff, including mandatory active shooter training; and
- CHANT Intervention Team, a group of professional staff and faculty who identify and assist students whose behaviors are disruptive to the educational and/or residence hall environment or raise safety-related concerns, and an online reporting system.
I welcome your suggestions on additional ways we may enhance the campus-wide effort toward providing the safety and security that will support an environment of learning and discovery for all.
David A. DeCenzo
President, Coastal Carolina University
Safety & Transportation
470 Allied Drive
PO Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
Carissa A. Medeiros, Director