Exercise and Sport Science
Bachelor of Science Degree
Through coursework, research, and practice, the Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Sport Science (EXSS) prepares students for entry into this dynamic and growing field.Students in the EXSS major acquire the knowledge, skills, and abilities of effective beginning professionals. Students study scientific and foundational content of human movement, engage in scholarly inquiry, and apply knowledge and theory to practice.
Graduates of the EXSS major are trained to assess, design, and implement individual and group exercise programs for healthy individuals as well as those with chronic disease. They are skilled in evaluating health behaviors and risk factors, conducting fitness assessments, writing appropriate exercise prescriptions, and motivating individuals to modify negative health habits and maintain positive lifestyle behaviors. The exercise and sport science professional has demonstrated competence as a leader in university, corporate, commercial, or community settings in which their clients participate in movement and fitness-related activities. They are also prepared for advanced study in allied health or medical-related fields (e.g. physical therapy, cardiac rehabilitation). Students will complete their undergraduate education with a full-time internship experience (9-12 credit hours) and will be prepared to sit for a nationally recognized certification exam (ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist).
To view course information for EXSS, please visit the Course Descriptions page to the left.
Minor in Exercise and Sport Science
The Exercise and Sport Science minor provides students with essential skills and knowledge to successfully enter the growing fitness industry. The minor combines the scientific background with the hands-on experiential skills necessary to effectively lead fitness programs for individuals and groups in public, private, corporate or commercial settings. Students are required to complete a practicum in the Community Fitness Testing Program. Students are eligible for ACSM certification after completion of the minor.
The following courses are required to fufill a minor in EXSS:
Required Courses (14 hours)
- EXSS 122 Lifetime Fitness and Physical Activity (3)
- EXSS 350 Exercise Physiology and 350 Lab (4)
- EXSS 385 Exercise Testing and Prescription (3)
- EXSS 398 Practicum in Fitness (1)
- EXSS 415 Personal Fitness Leadership (3)
Approved Electives (6 hours)
- EXSS 330 Injury Management (3)
- EXSS 340 Sport and Exercise Behavior (3)
- EXSS 390 Strength and Conditioning (3)
- EXSS 400 Biomechanics and 400 Lab (4)
- EXSS 405 Exercise Testing and Prescription for Diverse Populations (3)
- EXSS 410 Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation (3)
- EXSS 420 Exercise and Aging (3)
- HPRO 347 Consumer Health Education (3)
- HPRO 404 Nutrition (3)
- PSYC 423 Psychology of Aging (3)