KIMBEL LIBRARY / INFORMATION COMMONS
The current library facility was constructed in 1976 when the student population was 1,395 and it was primarily designed for library collections of texts and periodicals. Coastal's current student population is approximately 8,000 and the library needs additional space and upfitting to meet the increased student needs. The proposed project is to construct a 15,000 square foot addition to the current library to create an information commons area to support the current student population of the University.
The information commons will be a student-centered study/reference/tutorial center which will be available to students 24 hours per day, 7 days a week and located within the University library center, but separate from the library collection of texts and periodicals. This will be a technology-rich setting in which laptops and work station computers are abundant. Support will be available for students in accessing and using technology as well as writing and research techniques. Physical spaces will be designed to support both individual and small study-team efforts of students. The information commons will be the intellectual heart of the campus. This project also includes the renovation of the front entrance of the library and needed interior improvements (flooring, lighting, updated circulation area) to provide a more welcoming appearance to this 32 year old facility.
Estimated Start Date
Estimated Completion Date
Status of Project
September 27, 2012
- Scheduled close-out meeting with SGA and Chancel Builders. August 28, 2012
- Dedication of Bryan Information Commons.June 11, 2012
- Furniture delivery scheduled.May 14, 2012
- Air conditioning start up, cabinetry installation, floor finishing and site concrete scheduled.April 30, 2012
- Partition wall has been installed within the library for demolition to begin within the existing library lobby area.April 11, 2012
- Sheetrock installed 85% on 1st floor and 75% on second floor. Partition installed to begin demolition in existing library lobby area.March 12, 2012
- Storm water retention installation scheduled to begin.February 29, 2012
- Fire alarm wiring scheduled to begin.February 27, 2012
- Second delivery of glass and elevator delivery scheduled.February 01, 2012
- Brick veneer complete, stair installed with railing at east side and Spann Roofing drying in flat roof.
Installation of glass frames 75% complete.January 18, 2012
- Brick veneer 90% complete and installation of roof trusses complete.January 04, 2012
- Brick veneer approximately 85% complete. Stairs with railing installed at east side of building complete. Roof deck installed.
December 08, 2011
- Brick work underway on east side of building.December 05, 2011
- Installation of cast stone for base and window sills begins.October 19, 2011
- Second floor CMU walls are 95% complete.September 29, 2011
- Structural steel pre-construction meeting.May 27, 2011
- Auger piles to be completed.April 11, 2011
- Construction began.March 28, 2011
- Pre-Construction meeting with SGA and Chancel Builders.March 04, 2011
- Contracts mailed to Chancel Builders.March 01, 2011
- Construction bid opening.February 10, 2011
- Construction pre-bid.January 27, 2011
- Project advertised in SCBO.January 06, 2011
- OSE comments received by SGA Architecture. October 01, 2010
- Construction documents at OSE for review.August 18, 2010
- Project registered with USGBC for LEED NC 2.2.August 04, 2010
- Architects at 95% complete on Construction documents.July 06, 2010
- Architects at 90% complete on Construction documents.June 09, 2010
- Architects at 85% complete on Construction documents.May 19, 2010
- Architects at 75% complete on Construction documents.March 04, 2010
- Architects at 50% complete on Construction documents.February 05, 2010
- OSE and Coastal review comments of Design Document submittals sent to SGA Architects.January 12, 2010
- Design development phase of plans and specifications submitted to OSE for review.October 29, 2009
- Architects in design development phase of construction documents.July 14, 2009
- Architects preparing Phase II contract.
June 29, 2009
- A-1 for Phase II construction approved by SC Budget & Control Board.
June 03, 2009
- A-1 for Phase II construction approved by Joint Bond Review Committee. May 07, 2009
- A-1 for Phase II construction approved by SC Commission on Higher Education.April 17, 2009
- A-1 for Phase II construction submitted to Commission on Higher Education for approval.January 27, 2009
- Architectural Selection Committee met to interview Architectural Design Teams from short list. SGA Architecture was selected for design services.December 09, 2008
- Architectural Selection Committee met to short list Architectural Design Teams for interviews.November 14, 2008
- Resumes due from the Architectural Design Teams.October 16, 2008
- Advertised in the South Carolina Business Opportunities for an Architectural Design Team.August 12, 2008
- A-1 for design phase approved by Budget & Control Board.June 17, 2008
- A moratorium on construction projects set by Budget & Control Board.
June 04, 2008
- A-1 in amount of $75,000 for design phase approved by Joint Bond Review Committee.
May 13, 2008
- A-1 submitted to Commission on Higher Education in the amount of $75,000 for design phase. Commission on Higher Education staff approval.
Return to List