IRS Data Retrieval Instructions
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for online FAFSA submittals and is accessible through the FAFSA web site www.fasfa.gov. The retrieval tool allows FAFSA applicants and/or parent(s) who are eligible to transfer their tax information from the IRS to the FAFSA. See below.
Click here for a 'How To' Video
Students and/or parent(s) must actively choose to utilize the data retrieval tool. If they choose to do so, they will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service web site.
If you select 'OK', you will be transferred to the IRS web site and asked to authenticate thier identity.
Students and/or parent(s) will need to authenticate their identity before any personal information is displayed.
Complete the form and select 'Submit'.
Tax data will be presented and the student and/or parent(s) will have the option to "Transfer" the tax information to the FAFSA by selecting the appropriate check box and clicking the 'Transfer Now' button. Applicants may also choose NOT to transfer the data to the FAFSA.
Once you have completed the above you will be returned to the FAFSA web site. Transferred data will have a notation - "Transferred from the IRS"
Please Note: Applicants who choose not to use the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval process, or who retrieve IRS data but subsequently change it, will be informed that they will need to explain to their institutions why information they provided is more accurate than the information that would have been obtained directly from the IRS. They will need to provide information obtained directly from the IRS.
WHEN WILL MY DATA BE AVAILABLE FROM THE IRS?
- Electronic Tax Filers - Available within 2 weeks of filing
- Paper Tax Filers - Available within 6 - 8 weeks of filing
If you plan to submit your FAFSA before you and/or your parent(s) complete and submit your 2013 federal tax return, then be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your FAFSA record once the returns have been submitted and the income data is available to be retrieved.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO USE THE TOOL?
- Married couples who file separate tax returns.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) whose marital status has changed since January 1st, 2015.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who are neither eligible nor required to file a 2014 Federal Tax Return.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who filed an amended tax return.
- Applicants and or/parent(s) who filed a foreign tax return.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who recently filed their tax returns.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who owe an amount for 2014 (not eligible until after May 15, 2015 or 2-3 weeks after full payment is made).