VISA Card Programs
- Spend Down Travel Card
- Purchasing Card
- Corporate Travel Card (return completed application to the Accounts Payable Office, SNGL 128)
The Spend Down Card program is maintained by the Accounts Payable Office to provide employees the option to carry a pre-loaded visa card instead of receiving a cash advance or using their personal credit cards when traveling on University business. It is a Bank of America Visa card that is loaded with funds prior to the employee’s travel departure date.
1. Employees must provide the following information to Accounts Payable Office staff for the card to be ordered from Bank of America:
- Legal name.
- Social Security Number.
- Home Address.
2. When Accounts Payable Office staff order multiple cards, the cards are delivered to the Accounts Payable Office within two to three business days. When Accounts Payable Office staff order a single card, the card is mailed directly to the cardholder within 10 business days. The cost of each card is $3.50 which will be paid by the Department of Financial Services.
3. Upon receipt of an approved Travel Authorization and Spend Down Card Request form from the traveler, Accounts Payable Office staff will load the approved dollar amount onto the Spend Down Card. The fee for loading the card each time is $.50 which will be paid by the Department of Financial Services. Spend Down Card Request forms are available in the Accounts Payable Office or on the University’s webpage.
4. The same University policies and state regulations apply to the Spend Down Card as to cash advances (See Policy 603.0205 – Cash Advances for Travel).
5. The traveler must sign for his card when he picks it up from the Accounts Payable Office acknowledging receipt of the card and fee schedule information from Bank of America. If card is mailed directly to cardholder, fee schedule information is included with card.
6. When the employee returns from the business related travel, he/she must provide detailed receipts and a copy of the visa card statement (available to employee at any time after the card is issued) to Accounts Payable Office staff in order to clear the advance. Another Spend Down Card advance will not be approved until the outstanding one is cleared.
7. Lost or stolen cards must be reported immediately. Fees, other than those listed above (for example, replacement charges for lost/stolen cards and other fees described in the fee schedule) are the responsibility of the department.
8. If the traveler did not spend all the funds that were loaded on the card, the remaining funds will be unloaded as part of the clearing process. The fee for unloading the card each time is $.50 which will be paid by the Department of Financial Services.