Foreign Language Requirement GENERAL INFORMATION
Coastal Carolina University 2014-2015 Undergraduate Catalog
CORE CURRICULUM FOREIGN LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
- Five credit hours in a foreign language at the 115 level.
- Three credit hours in a foreign language at the 130 level or higher.
- Transfer students: Six credit hours of transferrable foreign language in sequence from previous institutions.
- For International students who are non-native speakers of English: An acceptable TOEFL or IELTS score, or by successful completion of ELS Centers Academic English at level 112.
New students will be required to complete the foreign language at the 115 level; unless they have extensive previous foreign language coursework and elect to take a placement test in order to gain entry into a higher level.
Transfer students who have not successfully transferred in six credit hours of foreign language in sequence will be required to take the foreign language at the 115 level.
Continuing students pursuing degrees under the previous catalog years of 2010-2011 through 2013-2014; may meet this requirement by successfully completing the foreign language at the 115 level (i.e. this supplements the requirements outlined in the previous academic catalogs).
Note: The options listed above have unique credit hours assigned. Students are required to complete (or transfer in) additional elective courses in order to make up for the difference in credits toward graduation.
STARTING A NEW LANGUAGE
Students who wish to start a new language (i.e. different from a language they have studied before) should register for a 115 course.
Learning Assistance Centers
- Foreign Language Instructional Center
- Learning Assistance in the Sciences
- Mathematics Learning Center
- Structured Learning Assistance
- Writing Center
- College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Humanities
- College of Science
- University College
Patience Locke, Coordinator