The Big Read Essay Contest
Do you like to write? Are you competitive? Enter the 2015 BIG READ essay contest. First semester freshmen will compete against their peers. The winners will be revealed during the New Student Convocation on August 16.
Past Prizes: (Prizes for 2015 to be announced)
1st Place: $150 Bookstore Gift Card and Other Gifts
2nd Place: $75 Bookstore Gift Card and Other Gifts
3rd Place: $25 Bookstore Gift Card and Other Gifts
Although the book is mainly about a case involving texting while driving, Richtel discusses the harms of overusing other forms of technology too – television, video games, social media. Do you think some forms of technology are more harmful to the brain than others? Why or why not? If you had to give up one technology obsession, what would it be, and why is it the easiest to relinquish?
- All submissions must be received by August 4, 2015.
- Entries should be between 500-1000 words (maximum).
- Essays should be original student work.
- All entries should be typed and sent by e-mail as a WORD document attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read 2015 BIG READ essay submission.
- Entries must include student's name, CCU email address, student ID number and current cell phone number.
Essay Contest judges will look for:
- Essays that cite specific examples from outside resources as supporting evidence.
- Content that illustrates the student's quality and originality of thought.
- Proper citation of supporting material in MLA format.
- Strong writing style.
- Correct spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation.
- Effective strategies for organization.