facebook icon twitter youtube

License Agreement Request for Release Information

License Agreement Request for Release Information

2014-2015 License Agreement

Are you a resident thinking about leaving CCU? Are you just looking to move off campus? Then you came to the right place. Please carefully review the information below and decide if you should schedule a meeting with your resident director (RD).

Remember that when you checked into your assigned space you assumed the financial responsibilities enumerated in the license agreement for the full academic year regardless of whether or not you actually live in the assigned space. Meeting your RD is the only way to know for sure what your next step should be.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This process is reserved for those who signed the license agreement and NOT those seeking a housing exemption, which happens before one ever applies for housing. If you are a future Chanticleer who wants to live at home with your family please see the Housing Requirement Exemption Request Form.



If you withdraw from all classes and leave the university – including properly checking out of your assigned space – you will automatically be released from the license agreement in accordance with its terms. In this case, you do not need to submit a request. Instead, you should make an appointment with your resident assistant to properly complete the check-out process including reviewing the room condition report and turning in your key.

You must check-out of your assigned space within 24 hours of withdrawing from the university and all housing fees are due immediately. You can calculate your estimated financial obligations by using your anticipated check-out date and the schedule below, which can be found in section 12, paragraph c of the 2014-2015 University Housing License Agreement (license agreement):

12.c. If the Resident’s check-out date is on or between:


08/15/14 & 09/19/14

Prorated Fall Housing Fees + $400

09/20/14 & 10/17/14

Prorated Fall Housing Fees + $350

10/18/14 & 11/14/14

Prorated Fall Housing Fees + $300

11/15/14 & 12/13/14

Full Fall Housing Fees


01/10/15 & 02/13/15

Prorated Spring Housing Fees + $400

02/14/15 & 03/13/15

Prorated Spring Housing Fees + $350

03/14/15 & 04/17/15

Prorated Spring Housing Fees + $300

04/18/15 & 05/15/15

Full Spring Housing Fees

                                                                                                                                                                                                                       University Housing wishes you well and if we can be of any further assistance please contact us.


FOR RESIDENTS CONTINUING AT CCU (i.e. still registered for any credits during the current academic year):

Your RD will evaluate your request for release and assist you in determining if the request involves an issue that can be resolved in one of our communities. If resolution is possible, your request will not be forwarded to Assistant Director for Assignments and Marketing (ADAM) and your RD will assist you. If the request meets the criteria for appeal, your RD will forward your request – along with a cover letter explaining his or her involvement in your situation – to the ADAM. The ADAM will do an administrative review of the information and render a decision to you. The ADAM may also defer a decision based on a need for additional information.

If your request is denied by the ADAM, you do have the right to appeal to the License Agreement Appeals Committee (LAAC). The LAAC is comprised of faculty and staff from across campus who will carefully review your request, maintain strict confidentiality and are entrusted with the authority to make the final decision on your request. The role of the LAAC is to review residents’ requests and to approve, partially approve or deny these requests. The LAAC may also defer a decision based on a need for additional information. Appeals to the LAAC and any additional supporting documentation should be received by the date listed below. Decisions made by the LAAC are final.

ADAM Request Date

ADAM Action Date

LAAC Appeal Date

LAAC Meeting Date

LAAC Action Date



































































Requests will not be accepted more than 90 days after the start of semester for which you are requesting release. You will receive written notification of the ADAM’s or LAAC’s action by the posted date. Below are these are the criteria the ADAM and the LAAC will utilize to take action:

  1. The resident must have encountered a significant problem;
  2. The problem is out of the control of the resident or the resident’s family;
  3. The problem must have been unforeseeable by the resident and the resident’s family at the time the license agreement was signed or agreed to; and
  4. The problem must involve the resident’s living arrangements and the resident must have worked with University Housing staff to attempt resolve the problem.
  5. The alternative living arrangements being sought will relieve or reduce the impact of the problem in a material way that University Housing remedies cannot.

Please understand that your RD may not be able to forward your request to the LAAC and that these are typical problems not forwarded on:

  1. Roommate issues or behavior in your community. Residents are expected to resolve conflicts with one another or to relocate to another assignment with staff assistance.
  2. Requests to receive a full or partial refund following a Loss of Housing sanction for a violation of the license agreement or Code of Student Conduct. As per the 2014-2015 University Housing License Agreement, if you are removed for conduct reasons during the fall or spring semester you are responsible for the full fall semester housing fees whether or not you continue to be enrolled.
  3. In almost every case, if you are well enough to attend classes and participate in other university activities, we believe you are well enough to live in your assigned space and fulfill your license agreement. Residents are expected to seek counseling or treatment from mental health or medical health care providers on campus or within the local community rather than seeking to live elsewhere. If you have a documented disability on file with Accessibility and Disability Services you may be eligible for an accommodation via the Special Housing Request process.
  4. Opportunities to save money because your relatives, including parents, are moving to the local community, purchasing a home in the community, you’ve found a cheaper living arrangement, or you are having difficulty paying for your assigned space and your off-campus residence simultaneously are not eligible to be forwarded to the LAAC.
  5. A desire to move in to a fraternity, sorority, organization or team house during the academic year will not be grounds for release from your license agreement.

After meeting with your RD and determining that your situation warrants the submission of this request, you will be asked to draft a letter that answers each of the following nine questions explaining why you wish to be released from your license agreement. In addition to the letter you’ll submit the request for release form you get from your RD and any supporting documentation you believe is relevant to your RD for his or her review. While parent or guardian comments may be included, University Housing mandates that the primary response be your own. If the request meets the criteria for review, your RD will add his or her own cover letter and forward all your documents to the Assistant Director for Assignments and Marketing. Requests are reviewed in order of the date received and according to the schedule above. You will receive a written decision.

  1. What do you want and what date do you want it to be effective?
  2. What is the significant problem you have encountered?
  3. How was this problem out of you and your family’s control?
  4. How was this problem unforeseeable by you and your family?
  5. What have you done to resolve the problem?
  6. When (and to what extent) have you consulted your RD regarding this problem?
  7. If your circumstances include financial need, provide documentation explaining your financial situation since you signed the license agreement with University Housing (e.g. medical bills, parent layoff/termination slips, court documents).
  8. If your circumstances are medical, provide medical documentation from your current, treating physician indicating how long you have been under this doctor’s care, the diagnosis, prognosis, and doctor’s comments regarding environmental impact on your condition.
  9. If you are released from your license agreement, where do you intend to live and what will be the monthly charges for rent and utilities?

 If you have any questions about this process please contact your RD and we hope we can keep you as a resident.

 University Housing creates a foundation of care for resident safety and success.

Contact Information

University Housing
Ingle Hall
843-349-6400 (phone)
843-349-6425 (fax)

Main Campus desk

University Place desk

Quick Links

facebook icon twitter icon
Coastal Weather
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
65.5° / 18.6° C