By studying English, you will develop the ability to think analytically and creatively and to communicate clearly and persuasively-- abilities that are highly desirable in most professional work and fields of graduate study.
What You'll Study
In addition to the English minor, the department offers minors from our award-winning faculty in Creative Writing, Linguistics, New Media and Digital Culture, and Southern Studies.
You can also earn $5,000 and complete your degree in three years, or earn a B.A. in English and an M.A.W. in four through the Degree in Three Program.
Experiences Beyond the Classroom
- Students have the opportunity to earn course credit for internships at off-campus sites including local newspapers and magazines, television stations, advertising agencies, law offices, museums, and non-profit organizations.
- A wide range of study abroad opportunities are available through exchange agreements and through summer travel courses.
- Undergraduate research opportunities are available with English faculty serving as mentors and advisers.
Choose from a wide range of courses in British, American, and world literatures; creative writing; film; literary theory; professional and technical writing; and composition and rhetoric. Such courses may include:
- Gothic Horror Modern
- British & American Drama
- Creative Writing Workshop
- Contemporary Poetry
- Topics in Shakespeare
- Business & Professional Writing
- The Victorian Age
- Studies in Southern Literature
- World & Anglophone Literatures
- New Media & Literature
- The Language of Film
- Children's Literature
- Dan Albergotti, Ph.D., English Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Becky Childs, Ph.D., Associate Chair, email@example.com
- Joan Trupiano, Administrative Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit Department Website