Apply to be a Jackson Scholar!
Before you begin the application process, please read the Jackson Scholar Handbook.
There are four parts required to apply for the Jackson Scholar program
- The completed application form
- A written statement from the applicant
- An unofficial copy of the applicant’s transcript
- A letter of recommendation from a current Coastal Carolina University faculty or staff member
Download the Jackson Scholar Application to your hard drive or flash drive. Fill out the application completely. When finished, click 'File', then 'Save As' and save it as a file with your name (LastFirst) and Application (ex: SmithJohn Application.pdf)
If you have any trouble with this, please contact the Assitant Director, Brian Tracy, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (843) 349-4149.
The Written Statement
In a statement of not more than 750 words, please address the following questions:
- How did you find out about the Jackson Scholar program? What motivated you to apply?
- Which aspect(s) of the Jackson Scholar program do you find most appealing?
- What qualities do you possess that will enable you to participate and grow in the Jackson Scholar program?
- What do you expect to gain in your experience as a Jackson Scholar?
- Have you ever been involved in a community service project? If so, what did you gain from the experience? If not, what would you expect to learn from such an experience? What area of community service holds special interest for you?
- How will you adjust your schedule to accommodate the time required for Jackson Scholar activities?
Double space the Written Statement and use Times New Roman 12 point font. Save the file as your name (LastFirst) and Response. The file should be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format (ex: SmithJohn Response.doc).
Go to WebAdvisor. Log in, and go to the section titled ‘Students’. Under ‘Academic Profile’, click on ‘Total course / Grades listing’. Select UG undergraduate Transcript Group and click submit. Highlight the whole page (list of courses/grades along with the total credit hours and GPA at the bottom), copy the selection into Word, and save it. Your grades saved file should follow the same naming structure as the other parts of the application (with Grades, instead of Application or Response) and should be in .doc, .docx, or .pdf format (ex: SmithJohn Grades.doc)
Once the application, written response and transcript are ready, attach all three files to an email and send them to the Assistant Director of The Jackson Family Center for Ethics & Values, Brian Tracy, at email@example.com.
The Letter of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation must come from a current faculty or staff member at Coastal Carolina University. The letter must be no more than one typed, double spaced page and must be sent by the faculty or staff member directly to the Assistant Director of The Jackson Family Center for Ethics & Values, Brian Tracy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.