International Students: What to Bring
The below is a list of items the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) recommends that you bring to Coastal. While most of these items are recommendations based on previous student experience, you must bring your immigration materials and relevant health records with you.
Immigration Materials (Required)
- I-20 (F1 students) or DS-2019 (J1 students)
- Documentation of financial support
- Contact information for International Programs and Services, including emergency contact information
- Correspondence from Coastal Carolina University—acceptance letter, housing assignment, tuition payment receipts, etc.
Health Records and Medications (Required)
- Prescription medications, contact lenses, and glasses
- Medical records as necessary
- List of allergies
- Proof of required immunizations
- Proof of required health insurance
More information on immunization and insurance requirements for international students is available here: http://www-dev.coastal.edu/health/international.html
- Laptop if you already have one—laptop recommendations are available here: http://www-dev.coastal.edu/scs/index.html?type=studentpurchases
- Small electronic items—camera, digital music player, calculator, etc.
- Coastal students have access to free computer support through our Student Computing Services, and also have computer labs that are available to them throughout campus.
Note: Electrical outlets in the US are typically different than your home country. You should consider bringing an adapter or purchasing your electronics in the U.S.
For Your First Night (Recommended)
- One change of clothing in case your luggage is delayed
- Toiletries—We recommend your carry small containers of toothpaste, shampoo, soap, and a toothbrush for your first few days
If you travel inside the United States before coming to Coastal Carolina, keep in mind that U.S. airline carriers typically charge passengers for checked luggage. In addition, passengers with overweight luggage will be charged much higher fees. Check with your airline carrier for specific information.
- Generally students dress informally (jeans, sneakers, etc.), however, you may have presentations or be invited to dinners or receptions and need more formal clothing.
- Because the weather is generally mild, with only a few days of cold temperatures, you may want to bring sandals, a rain coat, umbrella, light winter coat and may occasionally need hat and gloves, shorts, jeans, short sleeve shirts, comfortable shoes for walking, etc. You may also purchase these items here.
- Be sure to bring some money for the textbooks, supplies, items you will need for your residence hall, food, etc.
- You may want to bring some traditional clothing or small items from your home country to talk about with your American friends.
- Be sure you label all of your luggage both inside and outside. You may include our address, but be sure to include your own name.
Office of International Programs and Services
Coastal Carolina University
103 Tom Trout Drive
Conway, SC 29526
- Emergency Contact Information for the Office of International Programs and Services - this information will be sent directly to you via email. Make sure you have it with you before you leave for the United States.
Pillows and Linens (Optional)
- Pillow, light blanket, and bed sheets (twin size, extra-long)
- Towel and wash cloth
Your residence hall room is not equipped with these items. A shopping trip will be planned for soon after you arrive. These items can be purchased for a modest cost a local store.