- Verify the student meets departmental guidelines and course requirements for an internship.
- Provide assistance in securing an internship or refer them to Career Services for help with their resume, cover letter, interviewing skills and internship search. Encourage student to explore internship opportunities posted on JobLINK at www-dev.coastal.edu/internships.
- Review the student’s proposed internship site and job description to ensure that it is relevant to the student’s educational objectives and merits academic credit.
- Assist student in developing appropriate learning goals to be met during their internship (Internship Student Learning Goals).
- Have student and employer complete the Internship Learning Contract and Code of Conduct for Student Interns. Ask employer to sign a Memorandum of Understanding .
- Review and sign the forms and forward copies to Robert Bulsza in Career Services.
- Use WebAdvisor to enroll student in an internship course and discuss course requirements with the student (i.e. reporting protocol, required hours, grading rubric, weekly journals, final paper, or class presentation).
- Maintain regular contact with the student to ensure they are making appropriate progress toward meeting their learning goals and address their concerns or questions.
- Communicate, as needed, with the site supervisor to discuss the intern’s performance.
- Review the final Employer Internship Evaluation, Student Evaluation of Internship and Internship Work Hours Log with the student at the completion of the internship and award credit and final grade based on completion of assignments.
Note* All forms are in electronic format and can be emailed as attachments.