Kimbel Library FAQ
Books, DVDs and More
- What are the library's hours? Library and Information Commons Hours. Between the hours of 2:00 AM until 6:00 AM the library is open only to CCU students, staff, and faculty. CINO Cards will be checked for admittance.
- Where can I get help with research? Kimbel Library offers many research services to the university community. Book a Librarian for a research consultation by filling out our Book a Librarian form. If you prefer to talk to a librarian immediately, please see our Ask a Librarian page, which shows you how to connect with a librarian either by phone, email, text or chat.
Books, DVDs and More
- How long can I keep books I check out? Most types of materials circulate for 21 days to Coastal Carolina University students, staff and non-Coastal borrowers. CCU faculty have a semester loan privilege. Exceptions are Interlibrary Loan items (loan period set by lender) and reserve materials.
- How do I get materials our library doesn't have? Please see our policies and procedures for obtaining items outside of the library's holdings on our Interlibrary Loan page and our PASCAL page.
- Can I renew books online? Items can be renewed online by visiting the library home page and signing in using the My Library Account button near the top right of the page. Items can also be renewed at the Circulation Desk in Kimbel Library and at the several self-check stations located in both buildings.
- How many books do you have in the library? Kimbel Library holdings, including books, e-books, DVDs and the like, can be viewed on our Collection Statistics page (PDF).
- Semester loan to faculty; 21 day loan for all other patrons
- Library Use Only to all patrons except faculty--1 day loan
Journals, Magazines and Newspapers:
- Library Use Only to all except faculty--1 day loan
SC State & Federal Documents:
- 21 day loan to all patrons (except certain reference items and periodicals)
- Library Use Only, reader/printers available
Videos & DVDs:
- 21 day loan to CCU faculty, staff and students
Posters, Maps, Media Kits, Realia, CDs, Scores, & Cassettes:
- 21 day loan to all patrons
- What can I check out besides books? Visit the Kimbel Library Equipment Availability page to view a variety of items that you can check out from the library, including laptops, headphones, iPads cameras, jump drives and more.
- Where can I make photocopies? Printers are located on the first floor of Kimbel Library next to the Circulation Desk; on the second floor of the library next to the Equipment Checkout room; on the first floor of the Bryan Information Commons by the help desk; and on the second floor of the commons near the vending machines.
- Does the library have a color printer? The library's color printer is located on the first floor of Kimbel Library by the Circulation Desk.
- Does the library have a scanner? The library's scanner is located next to the Equipment Checkout room on the second floor of Kimbel Library.
- How do I send a fax? The library does not have a public fax machine, but has developed a guide to using a free online fax service. Please see our guide here.
- Where are the study spaces in the library? There are several places to study in Kimbel Library and Bryan Information Commons. There are soft seating study areas located throughout the buildings and there are also study rooms located in each building, which are on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Are there quiet places to study in the library? The second floor of Kimbel Library has been designated as a quiet study area. Please let a librarian know if someone is being too loud in that area.