Coastal Carolina University's VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows the user to securely connect to the University's systems from remote locations. It is intended for, but not limited to, those who need a secured access to certain resources and sensitive systems, e.g. Datatel modules and files in network folders, on the University's local network. VPN access is an excellent alternative to taking sensitive data off campus
Process to obtain VPN access:
- The user's supervisor completes the online form.
- Authentication credentials will be created and communicated to the user in person. Credentials will not be transmitted by phone, e-mail, or fax.
- Follow the instructions below or put in a ITS Help Desk ticket to receive instruction.
- It is recommended that the VPN client be installed on a Coastal Carolina University owned computer.
- Usage on non University and employee owned equipment is allowed, but not supported. Usage on public and non employee owned computers is not allowed.
- The user downloads and installs the VPN software, and then logs-in to access the required resources.
Coastal Carolina University is not responsible for software issues on personally owned computers as a result of the VPN installation (i.e. games, etc.). Installation of other applications on a personal computer may cause issues with the VPN client, resulting in the need for re-installation of the client. If your default printer is located on campus, and you are connected to the VPN, all print jobs will print to the default printer (on campus) unless otherwise specified.
Please Read the following agreement before installing the VPN software:
By installing this VPN software you agree to:
- Abide by Coastal Carolina University's Security Policy and the University Computer Usage Policy.
- Ensure that VPN is used from an appropriately secured computer.
- Make sure that you have anti-virus software installed on your computer and updated with the latest virus signatures.
- Keep the virus signatures up to date on a regular basis on your computer.
- Make sure all Operating System Patches have been installed and kept up to date on your computer.
- Any copyrighted content MUST NOT be shareable on your computer (i.e., peer-to-peer software settings need to be checked).
- Never share this software or any associated credentials with anyone.
- Remove this software before transferring possession of any computer you have installed this software on.
- To install VPN for Windows OS 32-bit ONLY click here (This page is password protected. Use your Coastal Carolina University UserName/Password for access.)
- To install VPN for Windows OS 64-bit ONLY click here (This page is password protected. Use your Coastal Carolina University UserName/Password for access.)
- To install VPN for Linux ONLY click here (This page is password protected. Use your Coastal Carolina University UserName/Password for access.
- For Apple OS X 10.6 and above please use the Mac built-in VPN client.
NOTE: For optimal performance of this software, ITS recommends the user have high speed internet access (cable modem or DSL) available. Dial-up internet service is NOT recommended.