Auditorium named for Johnson
The auditorium in the Wall College of Business was recently named for James J. “Jimmy” Johnson, an honorary founder and trustee emeritus of the University.
Johnson is a longtime and devoted supporter of CCU. A native of Conway, Johnson studied at Coastal Carolina College, graduating in 1959. As a student and alumnus, he amassed an impressive number of CCU firsts. As a member of the basketball team, he was one of the institution’s first student-athletes. He was the first president of the alumni association. In 1985, he was the first alumnus to be awarded an honorary degree by the University of South Carolina (Coastal’s parent institution at the time).
When Coastal was awarded independent status by the South Carolina legislature in 1993, Johnson was elected first chairman of the board of trustees, serving from 1993 to 1995.
He was a longtime member of the Coastal Educational Foundation and the Horry County Higher Education Commission. In 1996, he was awarded a Coastal Founders Medallion, and in 1998 he was named trustee emeritus. Johnson was inducted into CCU’s Athletic Hall of Fame in 1991. In 2002 he received the Distinguished Alumnus Award.