Coastal Carolina University's Volunteer Services Center is hosting a series of events in conjunction with National Hunger and Homelessness Week through Nov. 16. Colleges across the country participate in the shared goal of creating awareness about the plight of the less forunate. All events are free and open to the public.
Donations of nonperishable foods and gently used clothing are being accepted now until Nov. 16 at the Lib Jackson Student Center, in addition to various student housing locations.
Homelessness Week is highlighted by the grand opening of the CCU Food Bank on Tuesday, Nov. 13, from 5:45 to 8:30 p.m. at the University Place Student housing complex.
Other events scheduled include:
Sunday, Nov. 11
* A screening of "The Hunger Games," from 4 to 7 p.m. in the James J. Johnson Auditorium. A discussion on the issues of social justice will follow the film, which is co-sponsored by CCU's Golden Key Club.
Monday, Nov. 12
* "Live Her Story: A Simulation of Women in Poverty," from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Prince Lawn. Attendants will witness firsthand women struggling with poverty in America. Female participants will wear "I Am Homeless" signs and panhandle for change to demonstate the stuggle of women in poverty. CCU's Women's Resource Center, Volunteer Services and Counseling Services will be accepting donations, benefiting the Horry County Teens and Infants Shelter Home.
Tuesday, Nov. 13
* Chanty Town Sleep Out, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Prince Lawn. Teams of 2-3 people will compete to build the best makeshift shelter that they will reside in for the evening. Participants will be able to trade nonperishable food items and gently used clothing for building materials or supply their own.
Wednesday, Nov. 14
* The Hunger Banquet, 6 p.m. in the Kline Hospitality Suite, located inside Brooks Stadium. Billed as an interactive simulation of poverty, attendees receive a ticket, placing them in a certain income level. They are then fed a meal according to where they fall on the poverty/prosperity scale.
Thursday, Nov. 15
* "Share the Wealth: Donate CINO Cash," from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the CINO Grille deck. Tables will be set up for students to donate money using their CINO card. Proceeds will benefit The Shepherd's Table, a soup kitchen in Conway.
Friday, Nov. 16
* Backpack Buddies, from 7 a.m. at Waccamaw Elementary School. CCU's Rotaract Club will package and distribute weekend meals for the students in need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how you can volunteer.
* "Share the Wealth: Donate CINO Cash," 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the CINO Grille deck. Tables will be set up for students to donate money using their CINO card. Proceeds will benefit the Shepard's Table, a soup kitchen in Conway.
For more information contact Nicole Cozzi, CCU's AmeriCorps Vista Volunteer Services coordinator at 843-349-2794.