Eighteen new faculty members have joined Coastal Carolina
University for the 2000-2001 academic year. A listing of new faculty
members by academic college follows:
E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration
- Aaron J. Ard is an assistant professor of management and quantitative
methods. He earned a Ph.D. in human resource management and economic
and social statistics from Cornell University. His background includes
serving as a city police officer, a deputy sheriff, and a South
Carolina Transport State Trooper.
- Jerome Christia is an assistant professor of marketing. He earned an
M.B.A. from Georgia State University and comes to Coastal from Oklahoma
State University where he is completing his Ph.D. in marketing.
College of Humanities and Fine Arts
- Elsa Crites is an assistant professor of foreign languages. She
earned a Ph.D. in Spanish in 1996 from Florida State University where
she was named Outstanding Graduate Student. Crites was an assistant
professor of Spanish at Coastal in 1998 and 1999. She returns to
Coastal after serving for a year as a visiting assistant professor of
Spanish at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Ind.
- Lynn Franken is dean of the College of Humanities and Fine Arts and
professor of English. She earned a Ph.D. in English from the University
of Texas at Austin. Franken comes to Coastal from Butler University in
Indianapolis, Ind., where she was chair of the department of English
for six years.
- Jo-Ann Morgan is an assistant professor of art. She earned a Ph.D. in
art history from the University of California, Los Angeles. Her area of
specialization is American Art. Her sculptures are in galleries in Los
Angeles and Scottsdale, Ariz. Morgan comes to Coastal from Cottey
College in Missouri.
- John W. Ramey is an assistant professor of English. He earned a Ph.D.
in English/rhetoric and composition from the University of Louisville.
Ramey has taught at the University of Louisville, Bellarmine College in
Louisville, Gulf Coast Community College, and in Stockholm, Sweden
(English as a second language).
- James L. Tully is an assistant professor of music. He earned an Ed.D.
from the University of Memphis. Prior to coming to Coastal, he had an
11-year career leading middle and high school band programs in
Tennessee, Mississippi and South Carolina. In addition to his duties as
Coastal's director of bands, Tully will also serve as coordinator of
- Brian Vernon is an assistant professor of dance/choreography/musical
theater. He earned a master of fine arts degree in dance education from
the University of California at Irvine. Vernon comes to Coastal from
Mesa State College in Grand Junction, Colo., where he was associate
professor of dance.
- Tymberley Wittrig is an assistant professor of scenic and lighting
design. She earned a master of fine arts degree in scenic design from
Illinois State University. Wittrig comes to Coastal from Wooster
College in Ohio where she was assistant professor of scenic and
College of Natural and Applied Sciences
- Joseph T. Bennett is an instructor of chemistry/marine science and
the director of Coastal's Environmental Quality Laboratory. He earned a
Ph.D. in chemical oceanography from the University of Washington.
Bennett comes to Coastal from Lexington, Ky., where he was quality
assurance officer in an environmental chemistry laboratory.
- Sara A. Brallier is an assistant professor of sociology. She recently
completed a Ph.D. in sociology at the State University of New York at
Buffalo. Brallier's research interests include families and aging,
family demography, medical sociology and the sociology of aging.
- Joanne R. Duvall is an instructor of mathematics. She has taught
mathematics at Coastal as an adjunct faculty member for three years.
Duvall earned a master's degree in mathematics from Clemson University.
- Jeffrey J. Feuer is an assistant professor of mathematics. He earned
a Ph.D. in mathematics from the University of Rhode Island. Feuer joins
Coastal after serving as a visiting professor at Merrimack College and
St. Michael's College.
- John R. Graham is an assistant professor of computer science. He
recently completed a Ph.D. at the University of Delaware. Graham has
held the position of visiting faculty at the University of Delaware and
has extensive experience in the private sector including positions at
Sun MicroSystems, Eastman Kodak, Texas Instruments, and the Raytheon
- Peter E. Hart is an assistant professor of biology. He earned a Ph.D.
in plant biology from the University of Maryland, College Park. Prior
to coming to Coastal, Hart held postdoctoral research positions at the
Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine and at the Mayo Clinic.
- Varavut Limpasuvan is an assistant professor of physics. He earned a
Ph.D. in atmospheric science from the University of Washington.
Limpasuvan did postdoctoral research at the Joint Institute for the
Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean in Seattle, Wash.
- Lorie Moffitt is an instructor of computer science. She earned a
master's degree in computer science from North Carolina State
University. Moffitt comes to Coastal from Glastonbury, Conn., where she
was a consultant for CMGI Solutions.
- Peggy Perozzo is an assistant professor of physics. She earned a
Ph.D. from the University of Central Florida. Perozzo also did
postdoctoral research in the department of physics and astronomy at St.
Andrews University in Scotland. Perozzo comes to Coastal after teaching
at Grand Valley State University in Michigan.