Work In Progress Construction updates.
» Construction progress on the CCU campus
From Sandy Williams
Director of Facilities Planning and Management
- New end zone bleachers were installed at Brooks Stadium in August, adding 1,824 more seats for a total of 9,142 seats. There are also 400 standing room only spaces in the top of West Stands and 300 standing room only spaces in the top of the north end zone. Total stadium capacity is now 9,842.
- Energy Efficiency projects related to Stimulus Funding (lighting, lighting sensor and demand ventilation control upgrades) for Kiimbel Library, Prince and Wall buildings will be completed by December 2010.
- Hitting Facility â Steel was being installed and translucent roof panels were installed the week of Aug. 23.
- Lib Jackson Student Center first floor renovation â Sprinkler system work has been completed. Plans were resubmitted to the Office of State Engineer (OSE) for review.
- Central Energy Plant - Estimated project schedule: Project will be bid in mid-October. Construction estimated to begin by the end of November, with completion in August 2011.
- Bryan Information Commons (library addition) - Estimate project bid in September, with construction starting in October.
- Renovation of the home locker room to an athletic training room should begin in late fall.
- Academic Classroom/Office Building â The architect has been selected to begin design phase, with proposed completion expected by August 2012.
- Student Recreation/Convocation Center â Foundation work is continuing, and walls are being formed.
- Science Annex - Project Bid should be in October, with construction starting in mid-November, with completion scheduled for April, 2012.
- Timber removal is taking place on campus this summer to prepare for upcoming construction projects such as a 500-space parking lot behind Kingston Hall. The lot is currently being designed.
- Six portables were removed from campus.
- Parking lot improvements for Brooks Stadium, Coastal Science Center and the Burroughs & Chapin Marine Wetlands Center have been completed.
- Extension of University Boulevard across U.S. 501 is completed.
- The Chad Beaty Bell Memorial is nearly completed, and the bell will be installed this November.
- Completed: Dorm improvements include: new flooring in Dogwood and Elm, painting in Palmetto and Oak, ceiling and duct replacement in Palmetto and Oak, heat pump replacement in Maple, shower replacements in Maple, Cypress and third floor of Waccamaw, new flooring on third floor of Santee, sidewalk improvements in Woods, addition of two gazebos, and construction of a picnic shelter.
- Commons Dining Hall expansion â Architects are preparing construction documents. Expansion will provide space for an additional food concept, beverage station and increase seating capacity by approximately 175. It will also provide some outdoor dining space. Construction should begin in late 2010 or early 2011 with completion in summer to early fall 2011.
- Sasaki Associates is continuing work on new Campus Master Plan.
- Projects by other entities:
- Horry County Higher Education Commission completed construction of new intramural fields on East Campus across U.S. 501 this summer. Field lighting will be installed this fall.
- Horry Georgetown Technical College completed construction of the roundabout.
- Coastal Educational Foundation is working with the Jackson family on construction of a chapel at the Quail Creek entrance. Construction is in progress.