Work In Progress Construction updates.
» Update on campus construction activity
With the start of the Spring Semester, Penny Hall (the new academic building adjacent to the Wall building) has opened.
The following academic departments have relocated to Penny Hall, as have many science classes.
• Political Science
• Communication, Languages and Cultures
And Einstein's Bagels is located on the first floor, with breakfast and lunch items, smoothies and outdoor tables.
Three buildings are under construction at present, including Swain Hall, which is estimated for final completion in March; Central Energy Plant, estimated for final completion in February; and the Public Safety Building, estimated for final completion in July.
Also, Horry County Schools has completed site work for its new Scholars Academy Building on campus. Construction will begin on that facility in February.
The new parking lot between Student Health Services and Lackey Chapel (which will add 533 spaces) is under construction, and estimated for final completion in June.
New construction projects coming up in 2013 include:
• Softball and Baseball Stadium improvements - construction estimated to
begin in March
• Student Center Annex I - construction estimated to begin in March
• New Student Housing - site work to begin in March
• New remote parking lot on S.C. 544 (600+ spaces) - estimated to begin
• Tennis Complex - construction estimated to begin in June
Installation of underground chilled water piping will continue through spring and summer as buildings are connected to the new Central Energy Plant.
The design of a second Science Annex is in progress.
A traffic light at S.C. 544 and Founders Drive is under design and planned for installation this summer.
Major renovation projects to be undertaken this spring include:
• Magnolia Hall
• Renovation of first floor of Baxley Hall
• Renovation of portion of Coastal Science Center for the Academic Testing
Center and renovation of portion of Litchfield Exchange for Academic Outreach.
• Ingle Hall Fire Alarm System will be upgraded this summer.