About U Message from the administration.
Feel the Teal: What You Said… What We Are Doing - Part II
Coastal Carolina University Service Basics training workshops have been offered over the last six months with more than 1,000 employee participants. During these trainings, attendees were asked to submit feedback about the training and our current service culture. At June's meeting, the Feel the Teal Leadership Team shared that collective feedback, and areas that were mentioned more than others were reviewed and discussed. I would like to share “what you said” and address “what we are doing” as my Atheneum focus for the second time this summer. It is with this kind of open communication and transparency that we will strengthen our culture and service strategies at CCU.
You said … We are Doing Well in the following service areas
• Implementing the CCU Service Basics Training for all employees
• Attracting students from various states
• Professionalism / courtesy / willingness to help
• Positive employee representation of CCU
• Putting the students first
• Taking care of the aesthetics of the University
• Listening to the customers’ requests / customer satisfaction
• Treating others with respect
• School spirit
• Providing a home away from home
You said …. CCU Service Basics is a worthwhile training program.
“I enjoyed every bit of the customer service training; it was very resourceful to me as a resident assistant. This workshop helps to explore all aspects of customer service here at CCU!”
– Erika Gillard, resident assistant, University Housing
“As an alumni and staff employee, I appreciate the emphasis the University is making to encourage pride in being a part of Coastal Carolina University.”
– William Carter, Overnight Access Services specialist, Library staff
“This was a great investment of my time! I learned how to treat both internal and external customers.”
– Celeste Hamilton, work study, President’s Office
You asked… “Are all new employees really going through the CCU Service Basics?”
• Yes. All new employees are now going through a new employee orientation and onboarding program. Eileen Soisson has been attending orientations to present an overview of our service culture. All new employees – student workers, volunteers, seasonal staff, etc. – are invited to take part in the training.
Next CCU Service Basics training:
• July 18, 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.
• Aug. 14, 9-11 a.m. and 2-4 p.m.
Please sign up with Soisson, director of Service Excellence, at email@example.com or 843-349-2686.
You asked... “What happened to the Concierge Program?”
• Following the focus groups’ feedback, the decision was made to rename the “concierge” program due to a general belief that the term would not resonate with students. Instead, the CHANT411 program has evolved under the leadership of April Sager, program coordinator.
• CHANT411 is the central point of contact for students, families, faculty, staff and visitors who want a question answered or need assistance navigating the university system.
• People can reach out to the CHANT411 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 843-234-3411 or by email at Chant411@coastal.edu or text at 843-471-0411.
You asked… “When do we get more specific trainings about other service skills?”
• CCU Service Training Plans will be rolled out in January 2014. Each department or area of the university will choose from 10 training topics according to the service topics that best suits the department’s move toward excellence.
• Topics include attitude of service, listening skills, dealing with difficult people and situations, internal customer communication, phone etiquette training and others.
You asked… “Can’t we do a simple postcard saying thank you for visiting our campus?”
• Check out our Teal Trailblazers sending out a personalized postcard to recent campus visitors! Thanks to each Teal Trailblazer who serves our visitors with a smile!
You asked… “There are so many different signature files for Coastal Carolina University. What is the most updated footer format to use?”
Your name (abbreviated terminal degree follows name)
Your title (optional)
Your department and physical location/office
Coastal Carolina University
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528-6054
843-xxx-xxxx (fax or mobile number optional)
1. The footer should appear in the same font, size and weight as the email message.
2. Backgrounds, decorative banners or audio attachments are not permitted on University emails.
3. University-appropriate CCU logos, colored type, quotations, taglines and social media links are permitted on University emails.
4. The permissible fonts for all University emails are Arial, Verdana, Calibri, Courier and Courier New.
You asked… “We would feel the teal more with discounted family ticket packages for faculty and staff. Why just one Appreciation Day for faculty/staff to attend CCU sporting events?”
• The 20 percent discount currently offered to faculty-staff is the maximum allowed by the state in order to have no tax implications to the employee. Discounts above this amount become a taxable benefit, which is the reasoning behind establishing the discount at 20 percent.
Thank you for all you to do to strengthen our service commitment here at Coastal Carolina University and sharing this valuable feedback!
David A. DeCenzo, President