History of Lib Jackson Student Union (formerly Jackson Student Center)
The Student Union was named for Elizabeth "Lib" Benson Jackson on October 16, 2004 to commemorate a family gift in her honor to Coastal's 50th Anniversary Initiatives Campaign. Mrs. Jackson was born and raised in Salsibury, N.C., the oldest of four children. She married A.E. Jackson, Jr., and the couple moved to Myrtle Beach in 1939. The Jacksons were among Myrtle Beach's earliest residents.
The Jackson Student Union Expansion
With the renovation and expansion of the building, the decision was made to change the name from Student Center to Student Union to reflect the new functionalities and philosophy behind the operation of the building. The new building will open in January 2015. Please pardon our progress! During construction, the current building will remain open and operating. This includes the following offices:
- Aramark/Dining Services
- CINO Grille
- Coastal Activities Board
- Student Government Association
- Student Media Publications ~ The Chanticleer Newspaper, Archarios Literary Magazine, Tempo Feature Magazine
- Student Life
Upon completion - Spring 2015 - the New Jackson Student Union will add over 30,000 square feet of space to the campus. This area will include:
- an expanded and updated Game Room.
- a 250-seat Movie Theater.
- a Convenience Store.
- 3 state-of-the-art meeting rooms, and one conference room.
- a variety of lounge spaces for students to relax and study in.
- new offices for Career Services, International Student Services, Multicultural Student Services, and The COAST.
- Student Organization Resource Center - SORC - designed workspace for all student organizations.