facebook icon twitter youtube


How do I know whether a grant application should be submitted through the University's Office of Research Services, the Coastal Education Foundation, or just directly to the funding agency?

The application should be submitted by whichever body will receive and administer the grant funds.  If funds will go into any University Account or if the proposed project will make use of any University facilities beyond your office or entail any commitment or expenditure of funds by the University, the application must be submitted through the Office of Research Services.  If there are any personnel costs aside from payments made directly to you, as in the case of most fellowships or consulting positions, then the application must be submitted by the Office of Research Services.  If you are not sure of how your application should be submitted, contact the Office of Research Services.

What am I, as the Principal Investigator, responsible for?

The Principal Investigator / PI / Project Director is responsible for the overall direction and successful completion of the project.  To insure that all project objectives are accomplished within the allowed time frame and budget, the PI must take on a series of administrative responsibilities related to such matters as fiscal management, purchasing and personnel.  It is also the responsibility of the PI to insure that cost sharing funds are properly spent and accounted for.

The PI maintains contact with the sponsoring agency's Program Officer who is responsible for the discipline related and technical aspects.  The Program Officer is also the PI's contact for programmatic concerns, changes in scope of work, etc.

The Principal Investigator is responsible for submitting a final and any other required progress reports.  Financial reports will be submitted by the Grants Accounting Office.  In most cases the University has ninety (90) days from the end of the grant to submit all required reports.  If there are any questions as to the reporting requirements, ORS or the granting agency should be consulted.

Go to Appendix No. 2: Pre-Award Step Summary

Why do I have to fill out University paperwork such as Purchase Order Requisitions, Travel Authorizations, etc. in order to spend my grant money?

In general, grants are made with the expectation that the University will apply the same standards of accountability to grant funds as it does to public funds.  Federal and State grants require this and most private funding sources expect it.  If the University fails to apply these standards to the expenditure of grant funds it may be required to return part or all of the grant funds or the institution (including all faculty and students at the University) can lose eligibility to receive future grants.

Go to "Procurement"

I am applying for a grant and the application forms ask for the signature of my "Department Chairperson, or other University official." Who should I get to sign?

If grant funds are to be deposited in a University Account or if the University is required to make any commitment of funds, facilities or personnel-time, the application must be signed by the official University signatory authority, the President or a University Official designated by the President.  Such a proposal must be submitted through the Office of Research Services.

Who types my proposals, reports, etc. for me?

Coastal Carolina University (INST 6.00 - Preparation of Proposals and Reports and 6.04 - Office of Research Services - Routine) lays out the University policy.

I am required to submit eight copies of my proposal.  Who makes these copies?

The Office of Research Services will make the necessary copies, plus any other copies required for campus distribution.  Letting ORS make the copies will help assure that all changes and corrections which may be made prior to submission are included in the copies sent to the granting agency.

What is the grantsERA system?

GrantsERA, a Grants Electronic Research Administration system, is a web-based tool for managing the process of applying for research grants.  The system handles all aspects of the internal approval process of grant applications in electronic form.  When a proposal is submitted to the Office of Research Services, ORS will create a proposal file and manage it online to obtain internal signatures and approvals.  You will receive emails to use the system when your grant is being submitted.  Visit the rSmart page on the ORS website for grantsERA tutorials.