Exercise and Sport Science (EXSS)
Coastal Carolina University’s Exercise and Sport Science (EXSS) program is comprised of teacher-scholars trained to prepare students for successful entry into EXSS professions and related graduate study. The program provides a focal point for scientific scholarship and expertise through the development and dissemination of faculty-driven research and scholarship. EXSS provides students with multiple opportunities for active learning through laboratory-based activities, student-mentored research, service to local communities, and internship experiences. Through these activities, students acquire knowledge of scientifically-based health/fitness concepts and develop skills related to exercise programming and leadership with the ultimate goal of enhancing the quality of life for residents of Horry County and beyond.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the completion of the Exercise and Sport Science program, students will be able to:
1. Discuss the role and interaction of each of the disciplines that comprise the field of exercise and sport science such as exercise physiology, motor control/learning, biomechanics, nutrition, and exercise/sport psychology.
2. Describe and apply anatomical, physiological, biomechanical, biochemical, behavioral, and psychological concepts important to physical activity and exercise settings.
3. Properly conduct health appraisals and assessments using current technologies and scientifically-based methods for a variety of populations and settings.
4. Properly plan and evaluate individualized exercise prescriptions and programs using health/fitness appraisals and assessments, knowledge of risk factors, and individual health status.
5. Properly implement individualized and group exercise programs by using correct exercise techniques, methods, and programmatic variables.
6. Apply the skills of scientific inquiry, research, and evaluation in the field of exercise and sport science.
7. Monitor program administration including, but not limited to, management of emergency and safety procedures, risk management, facility design, and program evaluation/assessment.
8. Demonstrate the dispositions of an effective entry-level exercise science professional including, but not limited to, physical activity and exercise, working within specific community or agency goals, and serving as a resource person.
P.O. Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528
(843) 349-2875 (Fax)
Dr. Gibson Darden
Student Quick Links
65.5° / 18.6° C