Anti-virus software is used to prevent, and remove threats from your computer, including viruses,
worms, and trojans. The University’s Computer Usage Policies mandate that each student have
anti-virus software installed on their computer.
Section 1.6 - 1.8 of the Computer Usage Policies
1.6 Students must have anti-virus software such as Norton or McAfee on their computers. (Students
are responsible for purchasing the software).
- The use of anti-virus software is enforced by the University in order to keep threats from spreading across our network.
- It is also recommended that students use anti-malware programs to detect and remove adware, spyware, and other forms of malware.
- Malwarebytes is the anti-malware recommended by the University.
1.7 Students must update anti-virus program definitions regularly.
- A virus definition is what anti-virus software uses to detect and identify viruses on a computer.
- anti-virus software has to continuously update its definitions to remain effective as a result of the constant flow of new viruses.
- Most anti-virus software is setup to automatically update itself without any user interaction, but it is still a good idea for users to check the settings on their software to make sure.
- If a computer falls behind on its virus definitions the Cisco NAC might restrict access to the network until the definitions are updated.
1.8 Students must update and patch their operating system regularly to ensure system integrity and security.
- Windows Update is the program used by Microsoft to update and patch its operating systems.
- Windows Update should be set to automatically download and update your computer.
- If a computer falls behind on scheduled updates, the Cisco NAC might restrict access to the University's network and inform the user to update the computer.
All students should be familiar with the
Computer Usage Policies & Procedures
Click here to get Symantec Endpoint Protection. (NOTE: You must be on campus to download and install.)
Click here for more information on Windows Updates and instructions on running it
Click here for latest virus alerts
Click here to go to Symantec's Virus Removal Tools page