Students will experience learning that has the potential to be “life-changing”. Often, they will interact with individuals and situations in ways that could never occur in a classroom. Students involved in service learning are more engaged in their education and receive a greater academic, cultural and social experience.
- builds on knowledge and skills relevant to the student’s academic program
- develops a higher level of comprehension in connecting classroom theory with practice
- requires students to compare and contrast expected learning to their actual learning
- provides opportunities to learn from individuals of different ethnic, social, lifestyle and educational backgrounds
- develops enhanced leadership and empathetic skills
- provides a platform for students to re-evaluate their attitudes, values, prejudices, and beliefs about the world in which they live