About Financial Aid for Veterans
VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL
- Sheila Singleton
- Jackson Student Union B204
- P.O. Box 261954
- Conway, SC 29528-6054
- 843-349-2464 (fax)
Important Points About VA Benefits
1. Initial application may take up to 60-90 days/7-9 weeks to process.
2. Montgomery GI Bill® - Ch. 30, 1606, 1607 students are required to verify their enrollment at the beginning of each month by one of the following:
• Call toll-free 1-877-823-2378 or
• Online at WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)
3. Prior to the start of each semester/term, complete the VA Request for Certification of Educational Benefits.
4. Immediately notify CCU's VA Certifying Official of any changes in enrollment (drop/add classes), or changes in program (major/minor).
Click here for VA Financial Aid FAQs »
VA Standards of Progress/Mitigating Circumstances
The VA Standards of Progress mirror the Probation and Suspension Policy of Coastal Carolina University. Mitigating circumstances are those which directly hinder pursuit of a course and which are judged to be beyond the student's control. Following are some general categories of mitigating circumstances; this list is not all-inclusive.
- Serious illness of the veteran
- Serious illness or death in the veteran's immediate family
- Emergency financial obligations or change of place of employment or work schedule which preclude pursuit of the course
- Unanticipated changes in child-care responsibilities
- Active duty military service, including active duty for training
Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post 9/11 Veteran's Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Each school determines the number of students to participate based on the level of funding available for the program. To qualify, the student must be eligible at the 100 percent tier. Coastal Carolina University participates in the program, although funding is limited. For more information, contact the Office of Veterans Services.
External Scholarship Opportunities for Veterans
Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) is is a competitive scholarship program that awards approximately 80 scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children and grandchildren each year.