What is the Coastalettes Dance Team?
The Coastalettes Dance Team is a visual ensemble of the CCU Band Program that performs live with the CCU Spirit of the Chanticleer Marching Band. The Coastalettes, along with the Coastal Colorguard, Coastal Glamour Twirlers, and CCU Touch of Teal Feature Twirler helps to deliver an extra visual impact for the Marching Band throughout the Chanticleer's football season. The Spirit of the Chanticleer Marching Band is an integral part of the Coastal game day experience. The Band brings spirit to the fans and inspires the Chants to victory, and promotes a positive atmosphere for all to enjoy! Coastalette members have the option to continue to bring school spirit to select Coastal basketball games with the Spirit Pep Band during basketball season.
What is the time commitment?
Being a member of the Coastalettes is a huge commitment that should not be taken lightly. All members are required to attend Band Camp that begins prior to the start of the fall semester. Once classes begin, rehearsals are held M&F 3:30-6:00pm with a Wednesday section rehearsals from 3:30-6:00pm until the end of the fall semester. All members of the Dance Team are required to attend all football games, parades, pep rallies, and other predetermined functions of the Marching Band in the Fall. Members who elect to participate during the spring semester will rehearse on Mondays 7:30-9:30pm and Fridays 3:30-5:30pm. Spring performance calendars are created during the Fall semester. Each member who elects to participate during the spring semester must be able to commit to all the spring requirements.
How do I become a member of the Coastalettes?
Begin by filling out the CCU Bands Online Interest Form. You must attend the audition date listed below. No exceptions are possible. Contact Laura Card for more information.
Saturday, April 27, 2013
CCU Main Campus
9:00am: Registration (Registration closes promptly at 9:25am)
9:45am: Instruction Block
Noon: Lunch (on your own)
1:00pm: General Meeting
- You must contact Ms. Card by email (email@example.com) to reserve your audition placement.
- Eligibility is limited to students enrolled at Coastal or incoming freshmen who have already been accepted for admittance to CCU for the 2013 fall semester. (HGTC students may also be considered.)
- Proficiency on a musical instrument is not a prerequisite.
- Dancers will learn a 30-45 second dance to perform during the audition.
- The following skills will be required: double pirouette, r/l grande jete, axel jump, switch leap, toe touch, barrel/calypso jump, sequence of fouettes, side straddle leap, c jump, reverse grande jete, heel stretch/tilt and kick-line kick
- Dancers will audition in groups of 3 as well as audition individually with their own choreographed routine to Big Ballin' (Click here for sound file)
- Auditionees must prepare a solo routine between 60-90 seconds emphasizing the full extent of your dance ability. Your dance routine must be classy with a clean style, and must include all of the required technical skills listed above. Dance ability, well-developed technique, great showmanship and personality projection are the most important factors in the audition.
- Judges are expecting to see participants that are "uniform ready." Please wear make-up as you would for a performance. (We want to see eyes and red lips.) Wear your hair half-up/half-down and pinned out of your face. (No ponytails or buns.)
- Auditionees are required to wear black hot-pant type shorts (no long pants) and a white fitted tank top, and dance shoes or sneakers. There are no body type requirements, but we do recommend that auditionees be height/weight proportionate with clean body lines/motions.
- This is a closed audition. Parents or others will not be allowed to watch the auditions.
- Candidates may be asked to perform multiple times throughout the audition process.
- Great attitudes and spirit are key elements to the Coastalettes Dance Team, so come prepared to show both!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Where are auditions held? Auditions will be held on the main campus of Coastal Carolina University.
When will I know if I've been selected? A final list of those selected as members of the Coastalettes Dance Team will be announced at the conclusion of the auditions.
How many will be chosen for the Coastalettes? We have no set number to choose for the Coastalettes. We are interested in quality rather than quantity. ALL candidates will be judged on the skills listed above in addition to their work ethic and ATTITUDE!
If I am selected as a Coastalette, will I be able to receive a course credit? Yes. All members receive one-hour credit by registering for MUS 124C. Members who elect to participate in the spring semester will also enroll in the Spring MUS 124C course.
If I am selected, do I have to participate in all performances of the CCU Marching Band? YES! As a member of the Coastalettes, you are expected to participate in all rehearsals and performances. You will also be expected to follow and adhere to all rules, policies, and procedures in the Spirit of the Chanticleer Marching Band Handbook.
Is there financial assistance for Coastalette members? YES! Each member who is a CCU student will receive a $240 Marching Band Stipend. Spring participants can also receive a $240 participation stipend. HGTC students are not eligible.
What is expected of me financially? If you successfully pass the audition, you will be expected to pay a $130 confirmation fee on the day of the auditions. This will guarantee your place as a Coastalette and help defray the cost of your supplies. Prior to the first performance, you are responsible for purchasing pants, shorts, hair accessories and jewelry as specified by the instructors, and (click on each of the following): Bloch Adult Convertible "Hipstar" Tights (tan), Bloch Unisex Super Jazz Shoe (tan), White Style Plus Pintuck boots.
Do the Coastalettes have any performances without the rest of the marching band? Yes. Mrs. Card and the Director of Athletic Bands prior to scheduling must approve any such performances.
When do practices begin? All Coastalette members will be required to attend Band Camp. Please click here to go to our Band Camp page for dates and further information.